Hefty Fine review by Bloodhound Gang

• Released: Sep 27, 2005
Bloodhound Gang: Hefty Fine

It's been almost 6 years since we last saw a Bloodhound Gang album, I say three words: Worth the wait. Jimmy Pop's humour has matured slightly, but it is still juvenile in it's own little way. This album is an excellent example of The Bloodhound Gang's maturing and exploration as a band, as all bands do. 01. Strictly For The 'Tardcore - simply talking for 8 seconds, a little dig at Eminem and Will Smith (The Fresh Prince). 02. Balls Out - almost metal based music, similiar to 'Yummy Down On This' from Hooray For Boobies. The lyrics are about sex, a rather enjoyable song. 03. Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo - normally, singles from an album end up being the worst on albums. Not this time. Foxtrot is one of the highlight songs on the album, with very clever lyrics. The verse lyrics being euphemisms for sex, and the chorus being phonetic for a certain word (first letter of each word). 04. I'm The Least You Could Do - a song with a clever title, and very clever lyrically. A nice piano/ keyboard bit to lead us into the song, something quite rare for The Bloodhound Gang. But incase you're thinking they've gone soft on us, they kick into heavy distorted guitars and a catchy verse, backed by some synth-like things. 05. Farting With A Walkman On - in my opinion, this song is one of the lower-points of the album, a similiar melody throughout. Although it does bring us back to Jimmy Pop's juvenile sense of humour (which basically, we all love). 06. Diarrhea Runs In The Family - a humorous (at first anyway) recording of someone in a bathroom. 07. Ralph Wiggum - one of my favourite songs by TBG, a song made entirely of quotes by The Simpsons character Ralph Wiggum. Simple song, but very catchy. Very clever lyrically, almost shows the juvenile side of TBG, writing about cartoon characters and the such. 08. Something Diabolical - at first listening, I thought "wow, how dreary", but once Ville Valo (HIM) came in with his guest vocals, it really livens the song up and makes it a lot more singable. This song especially works best on computers or CD players with two working speakers, as Jimmy flicks from left speaker to right speaker throughout the versesm which I thought was rather cool. 09. Overheard In A Wawa Parking Lot - someone saying "The only thang going down in this car is the window 'cause your pussy stank!", it works well in carrying Something Diabolical into Pennsylvania. 10. Pennyslvania - an excellent song, I know many people who would rate it as the highest on the album. TBG actually want to get this at the state anthem of Pennsylvania, I think that would be rather interesting. A very catchy song, amazingly clever lyrics, a highlight. 11. Uhn Tiss, Uhn Tiss, Uhn Tiss - my personal favourite track from 'Hefty Fine'. A song that almost crosses into dance music at stages, and the second single. I love the lyrics, particularly the line "Let the banana split and watch it go right to your thighs". An amazing song, really is the highest point of the album, one of my all time favourite BG tracks. 12. No Hard Feelings - this song was written by Jimmy Pop from an ex girlfriends perspective, and a good job of it he's done too. A slight tremolo effect in the background of the verses, very catchy. There is a hidden track on the North American version, 9:11 into this song, it doesn't last very long (few seconds at most), and is said by Bam Margera (Viva La Bam).

Jimmy Pop never fails to make me laugh on a bad day. I could just get in a fight and listen to his lyrics and laugh til I cry. He is a very funny dude and his lyrics are absolutely crazy. Although he isn't as out of control as he was in the '90s Jimmy Pop's lyrics have sort of slowed down a bit. A bit more mature. He changed his subjects from dissing himself to sex. Very funny lyrical album.

Beyond how the disk plays out in their catalogue, it's just a damn good album. It's got a great flow, good lyrics, great music (and what the hell's wrong with techno), and you can listen to it over and over, not get bored of it, find something new on it, and wish you could hear it when you're away from it. This band could have easily done what lots of other bands have done, turned out 11 new "Bad Touch"ish songs and hoped they got airplay. Done an Eminem and create two formulaic hits to get the MTV airplay and let the rest of the album be what they really meant it to be. Instead you get a great album without a single, an album that's much better as a unit than it's parts. The Bloodhound Gang definitely matured on this one, and that's great. If they played the same old pranks over and over again, it would get to be like a 2nd season of Punk'd. They moved on, grew, expanded, kept their sense of humor, but raised their expectations. I suggest the "true" fans do the same, and I suggest that you give this album a shot, you'll be surprised how much you love it.