The Machinations Of Dementia review by Blotted Science

Blotted Science: The Machinations Of Dementia

Blotted Science is unlike anything you've heard. It is an instrumental, psychotic, mind bending and atonal masterwork. Litterally. This is the work of Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastic Ink), Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) and Charlie Zeleny (Behold The Arctopus)and the combination is a brutal and totally agressive progressive work. The music is though, not just extreme and full of agression. It has lot's of breaks with more mellow dream-like melodies (if I dare call it melodies if atonal). There is also synths in the music. You will hear those in the mellower passages I mentioned where they build a wall of athmosphere. And it's worth to mention that the athmosphere is not cheering. It's cold, psychotic and fits perfectly to the theme of the album. Brain disorders.

There are no lyrics in this album, but I believe the song titles should tell enough about the songs themselves. The titles fit very well into the music. The songs are composed conceptually and it works very very well. I can't really think of this album with vocals. It just wouldn't be the same.

With Ron Jarzombeks driving rythms and psychotic lead lines, Alex Websters heartpounding basslines and Charlie Zelenys incredibly well done drums, this is not your average tech-metal album. Songs like EEG Tracings, Brain Fingerprinting and The Insomniac are totally worth the album themselves. It is worth to mention that the songs Adenosine Buildup and Adenosine Breakdown is the same songs, with the clever difference that Adenosine Breakdown is Adenosine Buildup played backwards! I myself, ordered this cd, but I got a message from the webshop that it would take a week to get it on stock, so I just bought it on iTunes because I couldn't wait. Oh, it was worth it. There is nothing I really don't like about this album, though some of the songs may be short. But still, this may well be 2007's most original metal release! If you're into progressive/tech metal of the extreme type, this may be your perfect purchase!

Filip413
    I fukn love this album, quite possibly one of the best heavy albums to come out in 2007, they saved the best for last
    tomvidar
    Should be mentioned that the song EEG Tracings, are endlessly cathy with a really evil sounding lead in the background. It's crazy!
    hotrats57
    I can't get over how incredible this album is. it's perfect. pure musical art. hope there's a second on the way in the future.
    powerhead
    this album is simply phenomenal. one of the few that i'd give a perfect 10.
    DaMetalMaverick
    Totally agree with you guys. Listening to this album is so mind-bendingly(???) brilliant, your head eventually resembles the front cover of the album CD. More-than-amazing leads from Jarzombek (Bleeding In The Brain is one great example), Webster proving just how fantastic a bassist he really is (listen to Amnesia if you don't believe me) and Zeleny's drumwork is solid and frenetic at the right times throughout. 11/10 from me :p