Foiled review by Blue October

• Released: Apr 4, 2006
Blue October: Foiled

This album makes me think it was written over a long period of time. It's like one day he's happy, one day he's down and then another day everybody pisses him off. Other than that the sound is nice. Blue October uses synths and violins and probably has a mixer on stage. It's edited well and everything fits. The singers voice is very interesting to listen to and you can really hear his emotions come through in the music. If you only know of Blue October through "Hate Me", you might not like everything the cd has to offer so just preview first before you waste your money.

The lyrics remind me of "Death Cab" because they are very unique and there are lots of metaphors and similes that make you wonder how he came up with it. The album has lots of themes, from love and about faith in life to getting through hard times and redemption. The lyrics sound like they go well with the riffs and the verses don't seem out of place, but there is a lot of soft songs and some are really dark while others are kind of poppy and upbeat. Overall the lyrics are enjoyble.

Foiled comes across as a relatively soft album. I hadn't heard of Blue October before "Hate Me". I loved that so I went out and bought it. When I first listened to it I was surprised because the sound was very different from "Hate Me". I still liked it though because the songs are soft and kind of bluesy. My favorites are "Let it Go", "What If We Could", and "Into the ocean". There is one really bad song called "Drilled A Wire Through My Cheek", I hated it. Otherwise, If this album was destroyed in a freak explosion I would definitely go back out and buy it.

nerk13
    Actually, I laughed when I read these reviews. I had thought the exact the same thing when I listened to it. They really do at some points sound like the Dave Matthews Band. Especially some of the vocals. Anyways, this album is cool. I like the variety in it, reminds me of Nimrod, all of the songs don't have the same emotions, same message, same aggressiveness, same mood, and overall tone in them like most albums.
    whatiaminstead
    this album seems to showcase their maturation, in my oppinion. alot of angst in Consent to Treatment, obscene anger in History For Sale...not to say that those werent masterpieces. Foiled is just alot more introspective and involves a man establishing his identity APART from the people and the pain in his life, even while facing it down. i guess "steadily independent" is a good way to describe this album as compared to their earlier stuff.
    DagMX
    Hate Me and Congratulations are my favorite songs. GUess its just te teen angst, but at the risk of being emo, it connect with me
    juggaloblake
    I always find it interesting seeing what new fans say about a band that just hit it big (especially when I have been a fan for a while). As a long time fan of Blue October, i find this cd to actually be a departure from their sound. The introspective lyrics are still as haunting as ever, and I love them, but musically they have changed. The songwriting style of Justin has not changed since their first album The Answers . That one isn't nearly as angry as the two that followed, but you can still hear the pain in songs such as Black Orchid, where he confesses his thoughts of suicide. I do like this cd just as much as their previous efforts, but it just isn't the same Blue October that I fell in love with when Consent to Treatment came out. Justin got engaged before recording this album and was married recently, and I think that had a lot to do with the change that I noted. A lot of his demons with past relationships are gone, and thus lighter subjects appear in the songs, and lighter music accompanies them.