Don't Fear The Reaper: The Best Of Blue Oyster Cul Review

Blue Öyster Cult: Don't Fear The Reaper: The Best Of Blue Oyster Cul
Release Date: Feb 8, 2000
Label: Columbia/Legacy
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Album Rock, Arena Rock
For listeners on a tight budget, this might be satisfactory, but otherwise it's a considerably inferior value to the much more comprehensive Workshop Of The Telescopes.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Don't Fear The Reaper: The Best Of Blue Oyster Cul Reviewed by: BlueOyster23, on november 17, 2005

Sound: Probably BOC's best greatest hits albums. Though only covering the early days of their first 9 albums, this collection is a beautiful masterpiece of their experimental rock/metal sounds that made them 'famous'. While only known for two of their songs, "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" and "Burnin' For You," Blue Oyster Cult could have given more if only the world would have accepted it, as this CD illustrates. Among other BOC albums, this covers multiple stylings of music: growling hard rock/metal tunes("Cities On Flame," "The Red And The Black," "This Ain't The Summer Of Love," "The Marshall Plan," "Black Blade," and "Take Me Away"), hauntingly eerie ballads("Flaminig Telepaths," "Astronomy," and "Joan Crawford"), standard and prgressive stlye ballads("[Don't Fear] The Reaper," "I Love The Night," "Goin' Through The Motions," and "Burnin' For You"), an acoustic British pop style ("In Thee"), and even a new age style in "Shooting Shark," and of course who could forget the almost comical rocker "Godzilla." // 10

Lyrics: BOC is one of those bands that do not settle for standard par or subpar lyrics, they have to have extraordinary lyric masterpieces. Also, the music always seems to synch well with the singing. However, Eric Bloom is the official lead vocalist, but it is quite common to hear someone else to take the reins and sing. Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser sings many songs, like "(Don't Fear) The Reaper," "I Love The Night," "In Thee," "Burnin' For You" and "Shooting Shark," while drummer Albert Bouchard does some vocals too. All are quite exceptional at vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately BOC's best greatest hits album. Every song is impressive for one reason or another, but here are a few of the best parts: "The Red And The Black" - awesome riff and amazing bass solo, "The Marshall Plan" - one of the greatest guitar solos I've ever heard, also a mini featurette of "Smoke On The Water" as tribute to Deep Purple's metal influences, "Black Blade" - some of the best lyrics of heard in my life. Personally, I love every factor about the album except this, not enough songs, it should have been two discs, featuring "Buck's Boogie" (an outstanding live solo from 1975), "Dancin' In The Ruins"(popular retro style BOC song in the '80s), "Harvest Moon" (newer song with one of the best dueling solos I've heard), and "See You In Black" (newer heavy meatl fast-paced rocker). I would definately buy it again. // 10

Comments