Leisure review by Blur

• Released: Aug 27, 1991
Blur: Leisure

Here we see the start of Britpop giant Blur when they are still paying their dues but signs of Albarn's trademark vocals and Coxon's anti-guitar heroism are all here. Listening to the sound textures on "Leisure" can make you lose yourself into the music. Although made as an 'indie dance album', in tradition of the Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses (with louder guitars), it offers so much more than a booty-shaking session. Particularly highlighted on the bridge of "She's So High" and "Sing", the 6-minute anomaly.

To tell you the truth, Albarn's potenial as a lyricist (not a vocalist) is not particularly shown in this album from lyrical debacles such as "See your face/everyday/see your face/doesn't help me" to nonsense "Do you want, anything/you ever want" these lyrics are sucky at best. This album is for listening pleasure. It has no meaning (go directly to "Modern Life Is Rubbish" for more profound lyrics." Great vocal work tho.

This is Blur's most underrated album and yet after a couple of listens I can say this is even better than "Parklife", at least more focused." Highlights are on "She's So High", "There's No Other Way", "Repetition" and "Bang" while the only song that iritates me is "Come Together." Dare I say it? This album's quality is only matched with "The Great Escape" (which I think is their best album.)