Aura review by Bölzer

• Released: May 13, 2013
Bölzer: Aura

Bölzer are a 2 piece black/death-metal band from Zurich, Switzerland. Their first offocial release called "Aura" was released in 2013. Okoi Jones has a very unusual setup (2 guitar amps + a bass amp all at once) and just sounds absolutely huge, I would have never thought they are just a 2 man band. He also a 10 string guitar which sounds very rich and warm. The production however puts me off a bit. In my opnion the drums are just hidden away in the background and that's a shame really. Everything seems a bit drowned in the mix and I'd personally would have loved it a little more "modern" sounding.

Okoi his vocals are very unique, I personally love his "wolf" like clean vocals and his screaming is very intense as well. As for the lyrics, they're from your standard, cheesy black metal lyrics. One of my favorite lines are from "Entraced by the Wolfshook":

"His tongue conjured up fire
In hearts of hope that did smolder
With words as clear as the wind
Blades sprang from ashes again"

His vocals and the placement of the lyrics go really well with the songs though. He leaves enough space for the music to breathe and let's not forget the "ugh"s which complete the songs. Awesome, awesome voice indeed.

My favorite song of this release is without a doubt "Entranced by the Wolfhook." That's just a masterpiece and also happened to be the first song I've heard by them which just blew me away. Honestly there just are no bad or average song on this release, "Aura" is truly an experience. The riffs are really unique and definitely inspired me as a guitar player. The one thing I hate about this release though is that it's too short! Wish they added one or two songs but it is what it is. If you love atmospheric black/death metal definitely check this out! This record eefinitely takes me to another place. Would buy the vinyl again if it got lost or stolen!