Modern Times review by Bob Dylan

• Released: Aug 29, 2006
Bob Dylan: Modern Times

Dylan's newest album is of the highest quality; although some consider it disappointing, I totally disagree the album contains all the things you would expect form him great riffs lyrics and vocal quality and of course harmonica instrumentals. This album tries and to a high degree succeeds to fuse rock with blues. Dylan's lyrics as expected are powerful and meaning full. He makes use of his very throaty tone giving songs like 'Thunder On The Mountain' and 'Ain't Talkin' which is an epic song that leads you through an abyss Dylan is navigating the song ends as we loose Dylan in the murky outro. 'Workingman's Blues 2' is also an excellent track perhaps Dylan's most successful attempt at fusing his styles with blues.

Songs such as 'Levee's Gonna Break and 'Someday Baby' and 'Workingman's Blues 2' are the core of the album with the rock&roll - blues feel in 'Someday Baby' to the slow melodic blues of 'Workingman's Blues 2' they combine to make this album a real experience.

This album is excellent I enjoyed listening to it extremely and believe it is a must own for any Dylan fan like myself I especially enjoyed 'Workingman's Blues 2'. This album is an excellent end to Dylan's conceptual trilogy of Time Out of Mind, "Love and Theft", Modern Times. The album has enjoyed numerous good reviews and is Dylan's first #1 album in the US since 1976's Desire, and it isn't hard to hear why this album certainly shows Dylan can still compete with the modern music scene with which this album is contending and was intended by Dylan to show how music should sound.