The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan review by Bob Dylan

• Released: May 27, 1963
Bob Dylan: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan was arguably at his best with this one. Armed with only an acoustic guitar and a harmonica on most tracks (and, of course, his distinct singing voice), he plays his heart out in 13 tracks that rank among some of the best in music history. Bob Dylan wrote "Freewheelin" when he was 21 years old, and already we caught a glimpse of what he would grow to be through his poetic lyrics. This was really Dylan's breakthrough album, and most people agree that it is one of the Top 25 in the last 50 years.

Bob Dylan, even at 21 years old, displayed the voice in his lyrics that would lead people to crown him the successor to Woody Guthrie. Dylan's words melt seamlessly with his music, and they are sung in that oh-so-Bob-Dylan voice that makes this whole record great. Granted, Dylan is no Roger Daltry or Freddie Mercury. He's Bob Dylan. But his voice is partly what makes him Bob Dylan. This album wouldn't be the same without his voice.

I think that "Freewheelin" has a more dense track listing, if you will, then any of Dylan's other works from around that time, including "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Blonde On Blonde". "Masters Of War", "Blowin' In The Wind", "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", and "Don't Think Twice, It's alright" are the highlights of this one, and I especially enjoyed "Talkin World War III Blues" and "Oxford Town". "Girl From The North Country" is also included here. I must say, I'm a huge fan of this album already. It's a true work of American art. I can't say anything bad about it at this point. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably be pressed to buy it again. It's just so good. Highly recommended.

7thriff
    One of the greatest albums ever made. The lyrics are superb and cannot be matched apart from on other Dylan albums. I strongly suggest for anyone to check this out if they want to see an example of great songwriting
    I totally agree. dylan has such an indominable talent. his lyrics are so top-notch! and it's frickin hilarous at times!
    clam magloo
    i agree as well. I love masters of war, such a powerful song. and rainy day women #12 and 35 is one that always makes me smile. I love hurricane, from desire as much masters because it made such an impact. Gotta love Bob