In Battle There Is No Law! review by Bolt Thrower

• Released: Jun 12, 1988
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Bolt Thrower: In Battle There Is No Law!

Bolt Thrower are an English death metal band and "In Battle There Is No Law" is their first studio album released in 1988, and for the most part ticks all the typical death metal check list: - Fast grinding guitars? Check. - Pulsating blast beat drumming? Check. - Fast brutal bass playing? Check. - Great, brutal vocals?... Oh. The vocals are sub par but I'll get to that later. So simply instrumentally wise, the sound is fine, it's more than fine, it's great, and the main and only criticism I can come up with is I will get to later.

Lyrics? The lyrically content that works is BARREN. A barren wasteland of sand, with tumbleweeds filled disjointed death metal cliches and raiders with pitchforks and shotguns, shouting verbal sh-t of Warhammer 40,000 players shouting sweaty unwashed phrases from their mothers basements, and the vocals are so basic and generic that listening to people calling it brutal makes you puke over everything you love, its absolutely embarrassing to listen to it and ruins so many songs that could have amounted to classics.

This compares to death on the instrumental side of things, but lyrically it's far more akin to a Suicide Silence CD someone has trodden on with spiky cleats coated in dynamite and cyanide. If this was instrumentally exclusive, it would fare far better, but as an almost straight jam session death metal album, with fairly raw and rough production, and we'd all be a better death metal community for it. So as a whole album, buy it, because you'll probably enjoy it if you can get past the cliched themes.

YouTube preview picture