Bon Jovi review by Bon Jovi

• Released: Jan 21, 1984
Bon Jovi: Bon Jovi

This CD is very '80s. To me that isnt a bad thing but it may put some people off. I once lent this to a friend and he hated it because of that very reason. Much like black and white films, some people cannot stand the synth keyboard sounds and guitar playing typical of the era. If you have no problem with 80's music then this is a truly great cd, well produced and played. Tico Torres (drummer) particually stands out for his excellent playing.

One thing you may notice when you first listen to this cd is that Jon Bon Jovi's voice can go really high. Particually notable in the latter sections of the first track, Runaway. This is really a guy that can sing well and is practically flawless on this record. This effort is alot more raw than the follow up titled 7800 Fahrenheit containing many tracks penned before the line up had even been set. Also notable is the fact this cd conatins the only track on any studio album not to conatin a writting credit for Jon Bon Jovi. Track 3 (She Don't Know Me) was included at the request of the record company as part of the bands contract. Some lyrics do appear to have been used again in subsiquent albums (see Shot Through The Heart).

I love this ablbum, to me it delivers everything a debut album should do, and more. It's upbeat (see last track, Get Ready), energetic and well written. Unusually for Bon Jovi there are no "power ballads," but they're not missed for adding them would affect the fast pace of the album. It is a shame Bon Jovi don't play many of these songs at shows any more, they would sound ace live.