Bounce review by Bon Jovi

• Released: Oct 8, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Bon Jovi: Bounce

I had long felt that Bon Jovi was a singles band, so I took this album out of the library to see for myself if this was true. My fears were put to rest as, yes, they are. Being in the pop-metal vein, they obviously have very good production. The sound is good, in that, the production is clear. However, the band hardly touches on multiple music styles; they stay in a few limited mindsets in their lyrics and composition. So, even though they have very good production, any pop artist like Briney Spears could do this, and so I have to give them a mediocre rating. There's no innovation at all when they try.

Bon Jovi lyrics are what I am least impressed with. They just aren't good at hitting the variety of lyrical styles that rock is so accomplished in. Their songs fall into a few catagories, such as sappy romantic, "You Can't Tell Me What To Do," and the "Common Man" songs. It gets uninteresting quite fast. Also, I have to touch up on the singing. Jon Bon Jovi is not a very good singer. On "Living On A Prayer" (not on this album) for instance, he almost screams to hit some of the high parts. Also, there are practically no backing vocals at all here. I am disenchanted with the singing.

Bon Jovi does not stand up well when you go past the songs you hear on the radio and actually take a look at what's on their album. They are not very talented or virtuoso (learn to play guitar and see what a great job Richie has) and don't bring anything interesting to the table. Something I find ridiculous, is on "Bounce," which is supposed to be the title track - it's an utter rehash of "It's My Life," thus showing my point of their limited lyrical variety. The line "I don't give a fu fu fu..." is so stupid. They want to appear edgy, but don't want to offend their girl fans. Stop saying "Well, this isn't their best. 5/5/5". Go listen to the band Boston, who are like Bon Jovi except with more skill, vocal harmonies, and variety of lyrics. Or, check out Van Halen, who are actually the band that Jon Bon Jovi tried to replicate when BJ was founded.