Crush review by Bon Jovi

• Released: May 13, 2000
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Bon Jovi: Crush

The boys were out of commission for 5 years until they returned with what everyone names a more "pop/rock" sounding record. I'l agree on some terms with that but do not let crush fool you, as this album has many tunes with drop D tuning, that many just don't point out. The drop D helps create a heavy sound for most of the songs, one's you may not expect such as Say isn't so or Just Older. Richie exclaims at that time(2000) the riff on It's My Life was the heaviest he's hit since New Jersey. But there are only a few tunes which seem to be "just there" or fillers such as I got the girl.

Jon and Richie the main lyric writer's along with Desmond Child, I though could have done better especially on the tune One wild night. I just use the excuse that they were just getting back together from a five year absence and in order to make a triumphant return, there needed to be sappy lyrics, and I'll placed choruses, so to speak. Many then again, even the simple opener It's my life, has a certain punch, even though as said before the lyrics are simple, probably for the teenage minds of the "new" generation. Richie is apparent for backing vocals but not as much as he should be, but we hear him more throughout later albums.

Compared to other Bon Jovi albums, Crush has no real album intent, meaning no story behind it, except for possibly returning to stardom among a new generation. It's my life can get a bit annoying after awhile but I never get tired of the pounding riffs Richie drops. Say it isn't so has superb guitars in the chorus, some slow tunes such as Mystery Train rwally work through one's mind creating a story for your mind to repeat everytime it's heard. I enjoy the album name Crush and I really hate to say this as a massively proud Bon Jovi fan, but the songs don't exactly live up to the title. Of course if it were lost I would purchase it again, because then there would be a hole in my collection.

6StringCraig
    I actually rate Crush highly, I am a lifelong fan and think Crush was their last great album. Next 100 years is one of the best BJ songs ever, Richie mixes chords into his solos with ease.
    Mark2310
    This was an "okay" record,not a good follow up to the mighty these days,bounce is much better. OFF-TOPIC:hey axlrose54,buddy i'd like to see you review the new GNR album....if there's gonna be any.
    lmaher
    This album was really in my opinion sub-standard which is really hard for me to say being a huge bon jovi fan. There were some good moments but not enough to say that it was too memorable. This album is at best for the bon jovi diehards like myself. Overall, quite disappointing considering that It's my life is the flag song for this album.