Keep The Faith review by Bon Jovi

• Released: Jan 1, 1992
Bon Jovi: Keep The Faith

Ah yes, the Grunge period of the early nineties. A time when, as we all know, most of the "hair metal" bands of the '80s vanished, only few left standing pondering what to do. Well, the boys from New Jersey created 1992's jem of an album, "Keep The Faith". An overlooked album, Keep the Faith was able to keep Bon Jovi alive during the new music revelation. Openeing up with I Believe kick starts this masterpiece off. With a few although solid Love ballads, "Bed Of Roses" mainly, all the way to Hard Rocking almost Grungey tunes such as "If I Was Your Mother" and "Fear", these two certainly are the heaviest on the album. Towards the end "A Little Bit Of Soul" just magically caps off one of the best early 90's even one of the best Bon Jovi albums ever. Up-beat, Love Ballads, Hard Rocking, Having a good time and blues! It captures everything.

Jon and Richie certainly remain one of the best singer/songwriter's out there even today. It's in no doubt that Jon keeps his high pitched wails, but not as much as the 80's always demanded. The lyrics are well placed as help from Desmond Child always helps. This is more of a "Jon" record so to speak, although David Bryan and Richie Sambora do provide backing vocals keeping the Stadium Anthem feel, you do not hear Richie as often as you do on These Days, Crush, Bounce, or Have A Nice Day. Lyrics are very very fitting.

In the early '90s this album definately cannot be compared. It rivals all sorts of musical genre's that it is placed all by it's lonesome and is quite hard to place for a Bon Jovi album that is. The most impressive songs would be I Believe, Keep The Faith, Bed Of Roses, If I Was Your Mother, Fear, I Want You, A Little Bit Of Soul. That's almoist the entire album, but really the entire album is very listenable. I enjoy the fact that the boys decided to change and chose not to die away and wash up like so oh many previous '80s bands. Instead Jon, Richie, David, Tico, and Hugh played the era to their advantage. Absolutely brilliant. Well, of course if it were stolen I would have to buy a new one. My set just wouldn't be complete without this album.