One Wild Night: Live 1985-2001 review by Bon Jovi

• Released: May 22, 2001
Bon Jovi: One Wild Night: Live 1985-2001

The songs here seem much more louder, heavier, and powerful than their studio versions. This isn't an unusual thing for a live album, but it works perfectly here. I don't think there's a single song on here that's worse than it's original studio version. All the band member's are at their best. Jon's voice sounds great, Ritchie is still one of the best guitarists I've ever heard, David gets his share of highlights, Tico still plays loud and heavy, and the bassists still provide classic basslines perfectly. "It's My Life" is miles above it's studio release, "Livin' on a Prayer" is awesome, and so is "You Give Love a Bad Name," "Keep the Faith" is much more fun to listen to, but not as bluesy as the original was, "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night" sounds great on electric instruments, and I love the added lyrics. They also do covers of Neil Young's "Rocking in the Free World" and The Boomtown Rats' "I Don't Like Mondays," the latter featuring the lead singer in a duet. I haven't heard the original "I Don't Like Mondays," but I certainly prefer this "Rocking in the Free World" to the original. "Something to Believe in" is just okay, kind of like the original song is, and I've never liked "Wanted Dead or Alive," but then we get into the two best songs on the album: "Runaway" and "In and Out of Love." Both are miles above the original recordings, probably due to the much heavier sound. "Just Older" also sounds much better in its heavier, live form. "Something for the Pain" is also a cool song, but gets widely overshadowed by the others on the album. "Bad Medicine" is also a highlight, being an upgrade to the original tracks just like the others. After all the live tracks are done, we get an updated studio version of "One Wild Night" off the "Crush" album. It's also louder and more energetic than the first version, as you would expect from this album. The sound quality is also great compared to most live albums, not being too loud or too quiet. It sounds great, and certainly holds up.

Songs like "You Give Love a Bad Name," "It's My Life," "Just Older," and "Keep the Faith" still have catchy and memorable lyrics, and "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night" gets some new lyrics added in. "Something to Believe in" is also great on the lyrics side, and Jon Bon Jovi's excellent voice makes it sound even better. Not much has changed, and since Jon and Ritchie certainly did a good job on these classic lyrics on the studio versions, they're obviously going to be just as memorable and catchy on here.

This is probably the best album Bon Jovi's ever done. Think of it as a greatest hits album, except with new and improved versions of every single song on it. It's probably not a popular opinion, but I would say this is the best way to get into Bon Jovi. I do wish some songs like "Born to Be My Baby," "Lay Your Hands on Me" or "Raise Your Hands" made it onto the album, as it seems to be lacking quite a few fan favorites or hits. Maybe it should've been a double album, but I'll take what I can get, and what I got was the greatest live album of all time.