One Wild Night: Live 1985-2001 Review

Bon Jovi: One Wild Night: Live 1985-2001
Released: May 22, 2001
Genre: Hard Rock
Label: Island
It's the perfect album for fans and newcomers alike, as it features a plentiful bounty of the band's biggest hits and most-screamable tunes.
 9.4
 9.6
 9.2
One Wild Night: Live 1985-2001 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2004

Sound: If you've never heard Bon Jovi before, but only know them by what other people say, then this album would simply blow you away. It is recorded live from various concerts and is by far their heaviest album. If you hadn't heard anything they had recorded you would probably laugh at those who call them pop/rock because there's simply nothing pop about this album. Their version of Neil Young's "Rockin' In The Free World" is astonishingly heavy and sounds amazing on gass mark 9. Even their own song "In And Out Of Love" (which even I, a Bon Jovi fan, admit that this sounds a bit pop on the origional recording) has an amazing heavy intro to it which is maintained throughout the song. You wouldn't think there was only one guitarist in this band if you heard it. Richie Sambora doesnt fail to impress with his extended solo and new outro in "Keep The Faith" and off course his unforgettable fretwork in "Wanted Dead Or Alive". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are obvious to any Bon Jovi fan; about love and how to get through life. They're very inspiring to anyone who takes time out to listen to them, but if you like lyrics over music then I recommend the origional songs instead of the live recordings on this album, as the guitars and keyboard simply kick ass! // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this album will not only impress Bon Jovi fans, but anyone who is just a good old fashioned rock fan will like this, so don't be afraid to buy it because of what other people say because I assure you, if Bon Jovi didnt have their previous labell as being "pop" then this album would not be as underated as it probably is. It is just goos old fashioned rock music which can be enjoyed by any rock fan. // 10

One Wild Night: Live 1985-2001 Reviewed by: Doc2112, on november 01, 2005

Sound: This is a great CD starting off with "It's My Life," "Living On A Prayer" and "You Give Love A Bad Name." Then once your hooked they play songs like "Keep The Faith," "Wanted Dead Or Alive" and "Runaway." They also play a cover of "Rockin' In The Free World." The finish it with a remastered "One Wild Night." It really gets your attention. This is pretty much a best of Bon Jovi live. I give it an eight because it is above average but not extraordinary. // 8

Lyrics: Bon Jovi is amazing singing. He hits every note as on the recorded version. Bon Jovi seems to feel the music, he doesn't just sing it he has a passion for it. His voice seems to fit with every song. In "In Someday I'll Be Saturday Night" it sounds amazing, his voice just fits with the song. I give this a ten for absolutly amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Bon Jovi definatley does a really good job live, as a band I mean. The most impressive songs are "Runaway" and "Living On A Prayer" these are the top two, but they are all good songs. I Love the musical talent of them. There songs still amaze me no matter how many times I listen to them. I do not like the order of the songs. They end with "Bad Medicine" and "One Wild Night" which is not their best songs they should have ended with better songs. If this CD every gets lost I will be first in line to get another one. An eight for overall extremely good. // 8

One Wild Night: Live 1985-2001 Reviewed by: jwinn731, on june 06, 2016

Sound: The songs here seem much more louder, heavier, and powerful than their studio versions. This isn't an unusual thing for a live album, but it works perfectly here. I don't think there's a single song on here that's worse than it's original studio version. All the band member's are at their best. Jon's voice sounds great, Ritchie is still one of the best guitarists I've ever heard, David gets his share of highlights, Tico still plays loud and heavy, and the bassists still provide classic basslines perfectly. "It's My Life" is miles above it's studio release, "Livin' on a Prayer" is awesome, and so is "You Give Love a Bad Name," "Keep the Faith" is much more fun to listen to, but not as bluesy as the original was, "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night" sounds great on electric instruments, and I love the added lyrics. They also do covers of Neil Young's "Rocking in the Free World" and The Boomtown Rats' "I Don't Like Mondays," the latter featuring the lead singer in a duet. I haven't heard the original "I Don't Like Mondays," but I certainly prefer this "Rocking in the Free World" to the original. "Something to Believe in" is just okay, kind of like the original song is, and I've never liked "Wanted Dead or Alive," but then we get into the two best songs on the album: "Runaway" and "In and Out of Love." Both are miles above the original recordings, probably due to the much heavier sound. "Just Older" also sounds much better in its heavier, live form. "Something for the Pain" is also a cool song, but gets widely overshadowed by the others on the album. "Bad Medicine" is also a highlight, being an upgrade to the original tracks just like the others. After all the live tracks are done, we get an updated studio version of "One Wild Night" off the "Crush" album. It's also louder and more energetic than the first version, as you would expect from this album. The sound quality is also great compared to most live albums, not being too loud or too quiet. It sounds great, and certainly holds up. // 10

Lyrics: Songs like "You Give Love a Bad Name," "It's My Life," "Just Older," and "Keep the Faith" still have catchy and memorable lyrics, and "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night" gets some new lyrics added in. "Something to Believe in" is also great on the lyrics side, and Jon Bon Jovi's excellent voice makes it sound even better. Not much has changed, and since Jon and Ritchie certainly did a good job on these classic lyrics on the studio versions, they're obviously going to be just as memorable and catchy on here. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the best album Bon Jovi's ever done. Think of it as a greatest hits album, except with new and improved versions of every single song on it. It's probably not a popular opinion, but I would say this is the best way to get into Bon Jovi. I do wish some songs like "Born to Be My Baby," "Lay Your Hands on Me" or "Raise Your Hands" made it onto the album, as it seems to be lacking quite a few fan favorites or hits. Maybe it should've been a double album, but I'll take what I can get, and what I got was the greatest live album of all time. // 10

Comments