Slippery When Wet review by Bon Jovi

• Released: Sep 20, 2005
Bon Jovi: Slippery When Wet

Bon Jovi. The band always seems to get something of a bad rap wherever I look. Yes, I understand they became a country rock act around the beginning of the 1990s, but that shouldn't have any impression on the fact that everything they did up until then... was pretty darn good. "Slippery When Wet" was the group's breakthrough album, the one that made them a name known 'round the world, gave them a few great hit songs that still get a whole lot of airplay on most any real rock, or classic rock radio station you can find anywhere in the United States, and so on and so forth, you get the idea. Because, quite simply, it was good!

The lyrics are yes, a bit silly sounding on some songs, but even then, they fit well with the music, so I think it just about balances out. The guitar work is sometimes a bit simple, but never boring and the more complex playing on this album is amazing. Jon Bon Jovi has a really appropriate singing style for this type of music, which is good. And, despite the long-running joke about glam metal bassists being inaudible, not only can you perfectly hear the bass on most of these songs, but it noticeably improves the overall feel of the music, which is what I believe good bass playing should always do. The drumming is also good, but I don't have any super-praise for that, sorry.

I would say that when I first heard "Slippery When Wet" in it's entirety, I was a bit surprised that Bon Jovi could make such a good album. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike their mellower, country-rock phase, but it always struck me as nothing spectacular. I bought this album because it had the three songs you always hear on the rock radio, "Living on a Prayer," "Wanted Dead or Alive" and "You Give Love a Bad Name," but found myself pleasantly shocked at how good the stuff you never hear was. This is probably the greatest album Bon Jovi has ever made and I highly doubt that they will ever make another album quite as packed full of good material.