The Circle review by Bon Jovi

• Released: Oct 30, 2009
Bon Jovi: The Circle

Bon Jovi makes their Arena Rock comeback. Songs constructed neatly with the YEAHS! And WOAHS! Everyone loves to sing along to at the concerts. But what else are they bringing to the table? Lyrics. Bon Jovi's as a whole is bring deep, mature, motivating informative lyrics... The adjectives could go on.. Richie Sambora brings some thick riffs but also shows some slide influences for some thoughtful solos and U2 style licks. As the usual Bon Jovi writing format is used there are also some creative steps in and outside. You can tell this album made itself and wasn't forced. Songs like "When We Were Beautiful" Satisfy the writers needs as it does the listeners. The rhythm side of this band is just as solid as ever. The bass is holding down the backbone and Tico is a phenomenal drummer as well. David Bryan plays just what every song needs. Everyone is bringing their parts together for the band to be successful. Give it a 9 just because I feel Sambora is holding back just a bit too much, he sounds great, but I'm just always expecting something a little more from him. Miss the old albums Sound!

As the usual Bon Jovi writing format is used there are also some creative steps in and outside. You can tell this album made itself and wasn't forced. Songs like "When We Were Beautiful" satisfy the writers needs as it does the listeners. Jon's voice is anything but disappointing. May sound strained at times but then again go back and listen: that's his sound and knowing Jon that's exactly what he wanted. He would not be satisfied enough to put out the record if he wasn't. Richie does a great job complimenting the lyrics with his phenomenal guitar playing. Some lyrics to listen for "for the pink slip of an SUV, a night cut down in tragedy" from "Bullet", so simple its almost Genius, "When We Were Beautiful" talks of the bands maturity and past and is a great song that satisfied their writing needs. The song "Superman Tonight" is full of great lyrics, I'm not gonna write them all but definitely give it a listen with the lyrics in front of you. "Thorn in my side, you just wont quit, once in a while when I crack a smile, you rub my face in it" from the song "Thorn In My Side". Very genius if you think about it, its obviously a metaphor supposed to be motivational but with a kind of gloomy mood to it. I think its referring to when a dog shits on the floor you rub its face in it so it doesn't do it again, but saying that there are people who constantly work at something and don't allow praise to themselves, all work no play, anyways that's my rant on the lyrics.

I can't say it compares to another artist. You can definitely see and hear influences but its still the all around Bon Jovi sound and quality that you'd expect. When I first listened there was alot of unpredictable aspects of the CD that appealed to me. As usual there are those filler love songs... But Every other song is a great so it makes up. It's one of those CDs you have to buy and listen to the whole thing instead of just downloading one song. Best Songs are "When We Were Beautiful", "Superman Tonight", "Broken Promise Land", "Bullet", "We Weren't Born To Follow" (although its quite similar to a past favorite "Born To Be My Baby") Another song I like is "Thorn In My Side", because of the quality lyrics. As I stated before I'm always expecting more from Richie Sambora, but I don't hate anything about this album. If it were lost or stolen its already on my hardrive I'll burn another CD haha.