Sound: Bongzilla is a Stoner Metal (if that needed clarifying) that hails from Madison, Wisconsin. They are a four-piece comprised of:
Mike "Muleboy" Makela - Vocals, Guitar
Jeff "Spanky" Schultz - Guitar
Mike "Magma" Henry - Drums
"Dixie" Dave Collins - Bass
The album "Amerijuanican" is their 4th studio album, and clocks in at a satisfying 43 minutes. Let me say this, this band LOVES pot. Almost as if they practically worship it. Every song by this band is some sort of reference to reefer. With most bands like this, you have to be under the influence to really enjoy them, except this band is excellent even without all the illegal activity. "Amerijuanican" is faster than most albums in this genre, the riffs are simple, but don't come off as sloppy or lazy. These guys obviously put a lot of work into this album. // 9
Lyrics: This is where the album falls short. The vocals are simply love it or hate it. One can say they're horrible, unintelligible, and lyrically childish. One can also say that the vocals are meant to mesh with the music, adding to the immense wall of sound coming from the instrumentation, and what can you expect from a band who calls themselves "Bongzilla"?
Here's an example of the lyrics on this album's title track.
"Oh say we love weed, by the bongs burning light/We so proudly inhale the bowls last burning/Born in the USA an Amerijuanican by the grace of God". // 6
Overall Impression: 01. "Amerijuanican" - Groovy and upbeat. Great album opener. One of the album highlights. Even has a small guitar solo.
02. "Kash Under Glass" - Pretty straight forward song. Catchy riffs.
03. "Tri-Pack Master" - Fastest song on the album. Riffing is nice, but nothing special.
04. "Cutdown" - Worst song on the album. The verse is guitarless with the vocals screaming away. The riff is heavy but boring.
05. "Weedy Woman" - Heavyheavyheavy. All I have to say.
06. "Stonesphere" - Best song on the album. Song starts with a vocorder riff, proceeds to heaviness, then enters this slow psychedelic interlude for roughly 6 minutes. This song is grand.
07. "Champagne & Reefer" - Muddy Waters cover. Pretty random but it works. Shows off the guitarist's chops. Really good closer.
This album can be enjoyed by anyone. Stoner or Non-Stoner alike, as long as you can get past the mediocre vocals and the goofy lyrics. // 9