Flood review by Boris

• Released: Dec 15, 2000
Boris: Flood

"Flood," a one-track near-instrumental piece by the Japanese experimental doom/stoner rock outfit Boris, is a near perfect album. Released in December of 2000. In terms of flow, emotion and keeping the listener interested, in grabs a hold of you the entire 70 mins. There are a few spots do go on a bit, but when "Part II"'s guitar lead, and "Part III"'s tidal wave of distortion, the time becomes relative, and the payoff is very rewarding. This is easily a favorite of mine, and possibly my absolute favorite next to "Feedbacker" and "Smile."

Unfortunately do to my complete lack of understanding of even the most basic of Japanese, let alone the almost gibberish translations into English, the lyrics to this piece are lost to me. However the above mentioned emotionality speaks volumes to spirit of the human condition. The vocals continue this, and I am interested in exactly what they might have been saying. Having said that, I will be grading this as if it were simply an instrumental, with vocals as a complimenting instrument. Technically, as with most Boris songs however, the vocals are simple, never getting too loud. The screaming days of "Absolutego" and "Dronevil" long gone even by this point. But despite that I find the vocals add what is appropriate for the music.

Overall this album, and indeed song (lest the track division mislead you), leaves a lasting impression on the listener. Although I technically do not own it, I do listen to the album irregularly. It would be a shining light amongst the collection of Boris albums. Sadly it seems Boris has somewhat forgone this approach to songwriting since their evolution into a global force. Perhaps it's just natural moving on as a band does, but if Boris has another "Flood" in them I would be very excited to hear it.