The Discovery review by Born of Osiris

• Released: Mar 22, 2011
Born of Osiris: The Discovery

When BOO went from The New Reign to A Higher Place, the sound changed so much. TNR was extremely short with songs consisting of many fast tech breakdowns, short little synth melodies, and fast technical drums beats. When A Higher Place was released, BOO changed their sound from putting as many breakdowns as possible in one song to focusing on atmospheric guitar/synth melodies, crushing vocals, and more driving drum beats. One problem with A Higher Place is the songs were organized awfully, with little to no groovy/bouncy breakdowns. On The Discovery, everything comes together. All 15 songs contain the best aspects of what BOO had on previous albums, plus the song structure is much improved. The addition of Jason Richardson on lead guitar cannot be ignored. His talent is obvious in many of the songs, including the solos on songs like "Follow The Signs", "Dissimulation", and "Behold", a sound that BOO had not had on previous albums. While most songs on previous albums were between 2 and 3 minutes long, many of the songs on The Discovery are over 3 and 4 minutes, with "Behold" nearly clocking in at 6 minutes. Joe's keys on this album are also something that has improved. While on TNR and AHP they may have seemed a little out of place at times, The Discovery seems to make good use of his talents and place them in parts where they improve the song, rather than bring it down. The placement of the interludes is something I also find very refreshing. They almost give you a breather before the other heavy songs ;)

While I do not focus much on the lyrics in the songs, from what I have heard they are really cool. For instance, on "Devastate", Ronnie screams "SYSTEM FAILURE!" right before a breakdown which, to me, sounds insane. I cannot give a real honest opinion on lyrics, mainly because I am a guitar player and that is something I have never really payed much attention to :). One thing I can comment on is the sound of Ronnie and Joe's screams. Throughout the album Ronnie has crushing screams that compliment the instruments very well. Joe's back up yells also provide a really cool contrast to Ronnie's low growls and high screams. The only complaint on vocals I have is that occasionally the screams are doubled with a low growl and high scream over each other and it can sound a little corny. Most of the time it sounds cool though.

While no, I am not going to worship this as "zomg Boo Is The Most Technic@l Band Evr This Albm Is Redefininggg The Genre!", I do feel this is one of, if not the best deathcore releases in the past few years. The only albums in the sumerian-core era that are on this level are Periphery's self-titled and Veil Of Maya's "id". Don't get me wrong, this album still consists of many many breakdowns, fast sweeping, and stereotypical -core vocals, so if you do not like Sumerian style bands, you probably will not like this album. But I HIGHLY recommend giving it a thorough listen before judging. Best songs: Follow The Signs, Singularity, Recreate, Regenerate, and Behold. (Although there is not one bad song) If this album was stolen I would purchase it again immediately without hesitation.

Amuro Jay
    Their only album I find worth listening to. The amount they've improved is ridiculous.
    alessandrobo
    lol when did music become a competition to who's faster?? let's surpass 320 bpm and lose any cromatic difference between notes then! the discovery is a great albumm, but it's a matter of taste, if u don't like it don't say it's not faster or brutal enough to be death metal cause it's the dumbest shit i've heard so far.
    Spoonerismz
    I'm not a fan of Deathcore in the slightest bit, but I gotta say this album is very, very impressive
    ProgJazzMath
    Too slow? You didn't even listen to it obviously.
    I mean, i don't get what you could say is bad and dull about this band or even slow?
    Tsunami3000
    another note, jason richardson isnt the lead guitarist. its the same as always Lee mckinney
    Brutalious
    ProgJazzMath
    Sick, sick album. The guitar work is so great in this album. The lead man has polished off some solo's worthy of jeff loomis as well. i definitely recommend this album.
    FortheLifeless
    EpiExplorer
    ProgJazzMath wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: This is like that Becoming the Archetype album a few weeks ago: Fairly dull and too slow. Lost Soul do it better. Too slow? You didn't even listen to it obviously.
    Dude, its almost average when compared to this:
    And I did listen to it, the whole thing.
    uninsane_guitar
    This review isn't that great...I'll be writing one soon once I listen to this apparent masterpiece a couple thousand times lol. BoO owns and am I the only person here who loved A Higher Place?
    EpiExplorer
    When I read 'brutal', Lost Soul is what I imagine. Telling me that deathcore is heavy is pointless. And you should probably read my favourite bands list before making rash decisions.
    Ibeanez
    You were wrong then too.
    krvolok
    If were talking abut death metal and its benign twin deathcore then yes,absolutely yes.Anyway the first 15 seconds of "Devastate" is utter brutality and the following riff is surprisingly good and it has blast beats.
    Clunkst
    Awesome album pointless review. Talk about the music, don't try to get up your own *****.
    xXChimairaXx
    Really interested to check this out, because I loved New Reign and Higher Place. I love their guitar work with the keyboards. Refreshing.
    metalhead_99801
    This album is an unbelievable combination of their previous works, it has pleased my ears every day that it has been known to the world. The lyrical themes are mindblowing...
    Unleaded
    I despise deathcore in pretty much every way. But this is one of the few deathcore albums i have to say was really Amazing....WAYYY better than their old stuff.
    MatasTeen
    Anyone saying speed is the core essence of what makes something sound "Metal" might as well stay quiet. Metal for me means: diversity and musicianship amidst chaos. Jazz is sometimes metal as hell... This album is amazing and although I am a huge Born of Osiris fan, I listen to stuff like Cynic and Meshuggah, so don't think I don't know any good music.
    MatasTeen
    Oh, and I can't see how this is anything other than Death (-core, Metal)... Which other sub-genre has this kind of singing?
    krvolok
    MatasTeen wrote: Anyone saying speed is the core essence of what makes something sound "Metal" might as well stay quiet.
    If this refers to me,then fail,because I specifically said Death Metal.And death metal,thrash and black metal bands as well primarily focus on fast sections.And if were talking abut brutal/tech death and deathcore then they are even more focused on ultra high bpm ranges and odd time signatures.
    booby50
    FortheLifeless wrote: Music has to be blistering fast and layered with blast beats to be worthy of listening to? This album blew me away, and I often find that the sections of the album that are slow are the better moments on the album. DUNKADUNKADUNKADUNKA blast beat music is almost as dull as it gets, and I'm very very please the BOO has gotten away from cheesy deathcore and moved into a more progressive artistic variation of metal.
    +10000 I'm getting sick of the same blast beat-sweep pick-scream layout of so many new bands/songs. I'll definitely have to give this album a look.
    ProgJazzMath
    BOO differs from the rest of the generi-core bands by a long shot. Yes they do the constant tech riffs and lots of breakdowns, but they incorporate a lot more in their music. Especially the solos in the new album. They kick ass.
    Llama-Guru
    I honestly didn't like it as much as A Higher Place, but that being said it's still a good album.
    mtllica
    Phenomenal release. It blows their past two albums right out of the water and then disintegrates them with a blast beat
    Mysticlink
    I can't stop listening to this album. Probably one of the best recent releases imo
    LightxGrenade
    Love this album, like a lot of ppl here have also said, I didn't really like their other releases but this album is great.
    scarter1192
    Brutalious wrote: While I do agree that The Discovery is a fantastic album, this was an awful review.
    hey hey hey, my first review. lol I was not trying to write a professional music review, just a point of view from a metal fan and guitar player
    Megalomaniac46
    You forgot Rareform!! But yeah, this album owns. Absolutely phenomenal guitar work.
    scarter1192
    Megalomaniac46 wrote: The only albums in the sumerian-core era that are on this level are Periphery's self-titled and Veil Of Maya's "id". You forgot Rareform!! Dammit!! I have absolutely no idea how I forgot about ATB. They are on that level. Those 8 string guitars just crush. But yeah, this album owns. Absolutely phenomenal guitar work.
    Ibeanez
    krvolok wrote: Ibeanez wrote: I remember when death metal was considered the slower, heavier counterpart to thrash metal. Before blastbeats even showed up. When was that in,64.AD? Blast beats have been present in death metal since 1982.
    I'd love to see some examples