The Discovery review by Born of Osiris

• Released: Mar 22, 2011
Born of Osiris: The Discovery

If your looking for an album that has blast beat drumming, constant heavy breakdowns and insane sweeps go listen to every other death metal band but if you want a fresh face of metal this is the album for you. In BOO's past album, "A Higher Place", they began to focus on their beautiful guitar and synth melodies. They took that and added some bouncy breakdowns, kicked it up a notch and got some the most original compositions ever seen in metal. Songs such as "Ascension" and "Automatic Motion" a prime examples of that. Its not to say they got rid of the insane technical parts that are key to most all of metal, they still have all of that, maybe even more with the addition of their new rhythm guitarist Jason R. Richardson. Some of their best guitar solos are in this album such as in the songs "Dissimulate" and "Behold". Overall this one of the best, if not the best, album I've heard in a long time and I can't stop listening to it.

BOO has always had some deep lyrics and very good vocalists and "The Discovery" is no exception. I would encourage you to look at their lyrics they are poetic in every sense of the word. Its awesome to see a band that adds a psychological aspect to their songs. Both their vocalists are very talented and are even more so together. They use two different techniques, one using death growls and the other screams, which creates a cool contrast which gives a good sense of originality. I'm not a vocalist kinda guy but I really like the way they do theirs.

This album is a good example of the sound that is pretty much imprinted on BOO and couldn't be replicated by anyone, effectively that is. The main reason this album is so impressive is because I've listened to a lot of metal, A LOT, so to see new bands like this that are still reinventing the genre is awesome. All of the songs on this album can be listened to dozens of times over a you will still head-bang to their breakdown and savor their beautiful melodies. I HIGHLY encourage you to buy this album.

Lion_Slicer
    I liked their older albums. And this makes them look like nothing but warm-ups. They've really delivered on their potential.
    Loki_37
    Wow. Must be good. So many comments. Thanks for the new review, it's better. Now I can actually pick this up without shooting myself.
    ArchangelAzrael
    You're welcome. I couldn't settle for a review that was any less than a 9 so i figured you guys could use one from someone not completely jaded.
    Oddsbodkins
    My mate showed me this band when their first album came out and I couldn't stand it, but I've just been listening to XIV/Behold and it is so much better. Love the Serrana-esque solo.
    crocoscar
    this album is really incredible, i've never heard such a spacy/ethereal atmosphere oozing from music. this is an exceptional release and will definitely become a cult classic in the next years ... it just gets better every time you listen to it !!
    sexclamation
    krvolok wrote: MatasTeen wrote: Anyone saying speed is the core essence of what makes something sound "Metal" might as well stay quiet. If this refers to me,then fail,because I specifically said Death Metal.And death metal,thrash and black metal bands as well primarily focus on fast sections.And if were talking abut brutal/tech death and deathcore then they are even more focused on ultra high bpm ranges and odd time signatures.
    dude no one ever said this was ****ing death metal! You're arguing about the fact that it was called "brutal"? Who the **** cares? Brutal is subjective to a certain degree and does not always fast. You want real tech death then listen to Necrophagist or Decapitated(two amazingly good bands). This is a review for a deathcore band. Some people think deathcore is brutal (not saying me), but like I said, your perception of brutal is different than others. Get your head out of your ass and stop acting like a damn 2 year old and arguing for the sake arguing