The New Reign review by Born of Osiris

• Released: Oct 2, 2007
Born of Osiris: The New Reign

Born Of Osiris, the Progressive/Technical/Metal band hailing from Chicago, Illinois, is a band that is sure to please a mix of fans of many genre's. On their first album, The New Reign, it shines in many ways. After hearing about them through a good friend of mine, I decided to pick up the CD from a local music store. The first 10 seconds of the album destroyed my ear drums. It starts of with the heavy hitter, "Rosecrance" (which was originally supposed to be the band's name, until legal issues complicated the situation, hence, Born Of Osiris). The song is a very fast, yet melodic song, and for only being 2:13, it's very impressive on just how much music that these five gentlemen have been able to fit in such a short time slot. This is true in all 8 songs on "The New Reign", and anyone who is a fan of metal is going to love all of the intricate tempo changes, and very fast but melodic guitar lines. Born Of Osiris intrigues me on almost every aspect. There's very pretty, and melodic part's to their songs, like in "Open Arms To Damnation", where lead vocalist Ronnie bellow's out, "This place I now call home, is nothing more than a fallacy", followed by a very intricate key solo. Or the ending to "The Takeover", where the very fast paced song blends almost perfectly into the epic keys ending, that melds into the next album. It may be hard for many listeners, if they aren't used to Born Of Osiris's intricate sound. Not having a steady verse, or chorus for that matter, makes it semi difficult to be mainstream at all, which in my opinion, is one of the very best parts to any artist. Born Of Osiris is different, and though may have a few similar sounds, to even bands on their own label Summarian, like The Faceless, or Veil Of Meya, this band is one that will be both intriguing to the ear, and satisfying to anyone looking for a good band to "Pit" to. One of the few complaints I do in fact have for this band, is the over redundant guitar "chugs". In most parts of the album, a song will ultimately be taken to a stop, that follows for with a breakdown/key part, and hence the "chug" on the guitar. As a guitarist myself, I could see why you would want the other instruments to shine as much as the guitar does, and trust me, there are plenty of intricate guitar lines in this album, many of which I wish I could create myself. But it simply gets repetitive; don't get me wrong, I do love the keys in this album, but for me, it seems as if the guitar riffs during these keys section of the music, is filled with "chugs" just to fill the slot of the music. Another complaint I have to this album, is both the vocals, and the album time in itself. For me, I feel almost robbed when I buy an album that isn't even a half hour long. The New Reign hardly finishes with 23 minutes, and for me, would be too short of an album. The longest song on the record, is a short 3:16, which for me, wouldn't be satisfying. Now as I stated previously, I do find it interesting just how much music is fitted into these very few minutes, but I think, as with the guitar "chugs", that the short time slots are just too repetitive for me. I do enjoy this album, but at times it feels as if the songs come to an abrupt stop; I don't know if this was an intended thing by the band, or if studio time was forcing them to rush everything. My last complaint on this record was the vocals themselves. Their lead vocalist Ronnie Canizaro, has a very unique voice in itself, but I felt as if he couldn't stray away from the low growls that can be heard throughout the album in its entirety. I do like how the keys player is able to help Ronnie out vocally at points, but I feel that the vocals are a little too repetitive.

Reading over the lyrics, I would say that this isn't the highlight to this band. These lyrics aren't so bad; there are a few lines that have made it to t shirts, and are very memorable to any listener, but I feel as if at some parts, the lyrics were the last thought of the band. I do like the song titles, like "Open Arms To Damnation", or "Bracelegs"'; This band definitely has talent in every aspect, but there is also room to grow, and lyrics is something I hope this band decides to grow in.

Overall, Born Of Osiris is a very talented five piece band. They seemlessly blend fast paced tempo guitar/drum fills, and very heavy low vocals, with very pretty and melodic parts to all of their songs. The music is very gripping and technical, and is something that I believe everyone will find something somewhere in the album to enjoy. This album is one that you can be listened to more than once, without getting boring to the ear. Although Born Of Osiris lacks in length, and also in lyrics, the band will impress you, even if you aren't amazed, you will find something in this band. If your looking for a memorable heavy album to jam to, one that will grip you, and hang you over a cliff, and also one that won't take a half hour of your time, then get this album. I was very impressed by this band, and I can't wait to see where their music goes.

chelsea grin
    Mr. President wrote: They combine the breakdowns of Waking the Crapdaver with pointless progressive elements that impress people who have never heard prog-music before. Bad Album. They can do better.
    This is not a bad album, its great for a debut album and BOO deserves to get more notice. You are right about waking the cadaver though.