Corporate America review by Boston

• Released: Aug 27, 2002
Boston: Corporate America

Nearly six years since their "Greatest Hits" were released, Boston are still going strong. The overall sound is much more processed now, each track sounds 'studio' and could never live up to the 'live' sense that older Boston tracks acheived. But even though the album is so different and much more modern it is still obviously Boston; there are those few riffs and idiosyncracies that shout it in every song. The digital sound and numerous effects and extras on the title track make it very different to traditional cheerful Boston but it is still an awesome piece.

Most of the lyrics are Boston-style enjoying life or love songs; sad yet cheerful being their signature. "Corporate America" on the other hand sends a very clear message about the harmful effects of globalisation, with odd but effective bits of actual news reports in the introduction. My personal favorite track on the album is "You Gave Up On Love" mostly because of the vocals. Kimberly Dahme (bassist and vocals) delivers a powerful performance here interspersed with male vocals which both blend perfectly.

The only real dissapointment on this album is "With You," a country style song performed mostly by Dahme. She sings and plays acoustic very well but the song is quite dull and is completely out of place on the album; there is no 'Boston' to it. Bar that track, the album is an awesome comeback for a band that has been going since the late '70s and it was my first Boston album aswell. It's tied to my dog (lethal) so don't try stealing it.

boston10
    with you was my only disapointment also but besides that I love this album espeically the last 5 tracks.