Corporate America review by Boston

• Released: Aug 27, 2002
Boston: Corporate America

"Corporate America" is the fifth studio album by the legendary band, Boston. Boston finally returns to the music scene after a long, eager wait from longtime fans of young and old. We find that Boston has returned a little different this time the guitar spaceship visited Earth, but the band still rocks the same. The album kicks off in classic Boston style with the instant hit "I Had A Good Time". The first time I heard this song, I loved it immediately. They classic Boston melodies, guitar playing, and choruses that set Boston away from the rest all come back in this song. You cannot help but love this song! The next song shows Boston experimenting in a different direction. "Stare Out Your Window" has a different sound than the classic Boston sound at first, but about 40 seconds into the song, you hear the classic Boston chorus screaming out, which sends shivers down your spine. The next song, "Corporate America", brings back the "Higher Power" sound that was on the Greatest Hits album. This song instantly lets you know it's Boston, with the great guitar work and the classic Boston singing. When you get to the guitar solo, you just know that Tom Scholz playing. "With You" has the new female back-up singer singing solo with the Boston chorus in the background. It's a different kind of song to get used to, but it's actually really good after a few listens. "Someone" gets right back to the classic Boston sound we all know and love. The next song, "Turn It Off", sounds like a mix of Boston sound and REM style song, but it's surprisingly great! The next song has Boston going in almost a modern-rock style song, but once again, Boston pulls it off gracefully. "Didn't Mean To Fall In Love" sounds very similar to "Someone", and is a really great Boston sounding track. The same can be said with the next song, "You Gave Up On Love". "Livin' For You" was rerecorded for this album. It was originally on the album "Walk On", but this version is longer and has a few changes. I prefer the new version, as it has Brad singing, not Cosmo. The final song of the album, "Crystal Love", is an instrumental track. What is a Boston album without an instrumental track? This entire album is a great return for Boston as a band, and sounds like it came right out of the 80's.

The lyrics for the tracks on the album work perfectly. The lyrics are classic Boston, and as always, flow flawlessly with the music. Brad Delp couldn't fail on this album, as it was impossible for him to fail! His voice is magnificent, and it is what defines Boston. Tom Scholz also did a perfect job with writing the music and lyrics as always. The man is a musical genius, and proves it time and time again with each new Boston album.

"Corporate America" is a fantastic album by the gods of rock, Boston. Boston was always ahead of their time, and only prove it again with this album. First off all, I love this album simply because it is Boston. Boston has the amazing choruses, the harmony singing, amazing guitar work, and signature sound that many have tried to copy, but have failed each time. The most impressive songs on this album have to be: 1. I Had A Good Time 2. Corporate America (Close Second) 3. Someone 4. You Gave Up On Love 5. Livin' For You I cannot hate anything Boston makes, let alone this album. If it were stolen or lost, and the thief managed to escape with the album alive or with both hands, then I would definitely buy it again. This is a classic Boston album, and yet again Boston proves they cannot disappoint.