Don't Look Back review by Boston

• Released: Aug 2, 1978
Boston: Don't Look Back

By their second album Boston's sound starts to change slightly. They drop a lot of the acoustic contributions in their songs and focus on their warmer "space age" sound. Lots of painstakingly perfected harmony and space effects of Tom Schloz's own creation. Also the most perfect solo of all time (my personal favorite) in "It's Easy"; a track unjustly left off the Greatest Hits album. The verses feature simple yet really effective major/minor transitions and the solo does the same but in such brilliant harmony that it actually has meaning. It doesnt need lyrics and you can understand what it's about.

The album title (the same as the first track) says it all. The lyrics beam optimism and '70s bright spirit, they make any day feel like the summer. Brad Delp again delivers his piercing voice that cuts through the music so you can hear every word. He only seems to mellow down for "A Man I'll Never Be," the token ballad on the album. Quite long but it really brings conveys the meaning of the words in that sad-but-still-cheerful way that only Boston can do.

A good follow up album, different from the debut but still very Boston. With the title song as an awesome intro to the album and later on "A Man I'll Never Be" being Boston's first real ballad, this album is one of a kind and a must for any Boston fan. The sole bad thing on the album is "The Journey" which is a really short instrumental track marking the transition between "Don't Look Back" and "It's Easy" and it is a bit plain. Still I couldn't do without the album, I keep it locked in a safe to stop it getting stolen.