Don't Look Back review by Boston

• Released: Aug 2, 1978
Boston: Don't Look Back

This is the second Boston album, and was released 2 years after their debut. Despite the 2 years, guitarist Tom Scholz thought this was a rush job. I have to disagree, I believe this album is an excellent follow-up. The sound is rather similar to their debut, although they have forgone most of the acoustic guitars and have track with piano on it. The album still has the "Boston" sound, with the over-driven guitars, the space sounds etc. This album contains the "ballad" track "A Man I'll Never Be" with possibly one of the greatest solos I've ever heard and "It's Easy" a wonderful song that is lesser-known.

The lyrics are, once again, very similar to their debut. They have their first real ballad in the form of "A Man I'll Never Be" but even this retains the classic Boston sound and they make it sound happy in the Boston way. The lyrics fit wonderfully with the music and Brad Delp's amazing voice only adds to this. His ability to sing highs, lows, transitions and his control are phenomenal. He is integral to the Boston sound.

While this album is very strong and is a great follow-up, it doesn't beat out their debut. This album is still a great album though, in it's own right, and any Boston fan or classic rock fan should very well have or check this out. My favorite songs are "A Man I'll Never Be" and "It's Easy" as I said before. I find these wonderfully crafted and are definitely some of their best.

fuzzthedog
    FinderofNemo wrote: It probably took so long cause Tom Scholz is an obsessive perfectionist.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.