Don't Look Back Review

Boston: Don't Look Back
Release Date: Aug 1978
Label: Epic
Genres: Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Arena Rock, Album Rock
Don't Look Back took two long years to complete and it's hard to figure out why it took so long because it is almost exactly the same as their debut.
 9.4
 9.2
 9.6
Don't Look Back Reviewed by: Matnu, on may 24, 2006

Sound: By their second album Boston's sound starts to change slightly. They drop a lot of the acoustic contributions in their songs and focus on their warmer "space age" sound. Lots of painstakingly perfected harmony and space effects of Tom Schloz's own creation. Also the most perfect solo of all time (my personal favorite) in "It's Easy"; a track unjustly left off the Greatest Hits album. The verses feature simple yet really effective major/minor transitions and the solo does the same but in such brilliant harmony that it actually has meaning. It doesnt need lyrics and you can understand what it's about. // 9

Lyrics: The album title (the same as the first track) says it all. The lyrics beam optimism and '70s bright spirit, they make any day feel like the summer. Brad Delp again delivers his piercing voice that cuts through the music so you can hear every word. He only seems to mellow down for "A Man I'll Never Be," the token ballad on the album. Quite long but it really brings conveys the meaning of the words in that sad-but-still-cheerful way that only Boston can do. // 9

Overall Impression: A good follow up album, different from the debut but still very Boston. With the title song as an awesome intro to the album and later on "A Man I'll Never Be" being Boston's first real ballad, this album is one of a kind and a must for any Boston fan. The sole bad thing on the album is "The Journey" which is a really short instrumental track marking the transition between "Don't Look Back" and "It's Easy" and it is a bit plain. Still I couldn't do without the album, I keep it locked in a safe to stop it getting stolen. // 10

Don't Look Back Reviewed by: Norphin, on october 23, 2009

Sound: This is the second Boston album, and was released 2 years after their debut. Despite the 2 years, guitarist Tom Scholz thought this was a rush job. I have to disagree, I believe this album is an excellent follow-up. The sound is rather similar to their debut, although they have forgone most of the acoustic guitars and have track with piano on it. The album still has the "Boston" sound, with the over-driven guitars, the space sounds etc. This album contains the "ballad" track "A Man I'll Never Be" with possibly one of the greatest solos I've ever heard and "It's Easy" a wonderful song that is lesser-known. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are, once again, very similar to their debut. They have their first real ballad in the form of "A Man I'll Never Be" but even this retains the classic Boston sound and they make it sound happy in the Boston way. The lyrics fit wonderfully with the music and Brad Delp's amazing voice only adds to this. His ability to sing highs, lows, transitions and his control are phenomenal. He is integral to the Boston sound. // 9

Overall Impression: While this album is very strong and is a great follow-up, it doesn't beat out their debut. This album is still a great album though, in it's own right, and any Boston fan or classic rock fan should very well have or check this out. My favorite songs are "A Man I'll Never Be" and "It's Easy" as I said before. I find these wonderfully crafted and are definitely some of their best. // 9

Comments