Walk On review by Boston

• Released: Jun 7, 1994
Boston: Walk On

Tom Scholz has concentrated heavily on the instrumental parts of this album and it really payed off. The core "Walk On Medley" comprises two pure organ and solo guitar tracks and two songs with lyrics driven by a powerful riff that really moves the sound forward. On top of that "I Need Your Love" is the perfect album opener as it quietly builds up to a corking "Scorpions" style intro and then mellows down into a bright love song. But it is the use of the organ that is the most noticable feature of the album because it's everywhere!

Unfortunately the lyrics aren't quite what they used to be this time round because of the focus on the music except for one track: "Livin' For You." This track became the focus of whole tour because of its popularity with Boston fans and it is a lyrically amazing song; it's the token Boston-style love song on the album and it easily lives up to its predecessors.

Seven Years on from "Third Stage," this album doesn't quite live up to popularity of the previous three albums. The opening track "I Need Your Love" was the only song from this album to make it into the US charts and even then it only reached 51. For the first time in history a Boston album doesn't contain a hit single. But the lack of a single is irrelevant because as a whole this really is an 'album' as an album should be and a brilliant one at that. I'm not even going to tell you where this one is hidden.

Thrane
    WOW! This is really a great album..! I love all the three first songs as singles.. And then the Walk On Medley!! Wauw it's nice.. Grats and thanks to Tom Scholz! really a nice album..
    CinderellaFan14
    First off, yeah, the singer sounds different. Yeah, the lyrics are different. Probably because there was a different singer/lyricist for this album! Brad Delp didn't sing on this album, another person called Fran Cosmo sang. And I highly disagree with this reviewer's statement that the record has no substance. Anyone who believes that this album has "no substance under the layers of gloss" not only isn't a true Boston fan, but also has no true appreciation for great music in general.
    vanzant38
    One of the best CDs that I have ever bought and I have a lot. Easily one of my top TEN.