We Are The Romans review by Botch

• Released: Jan 1, 2000
Botch: We Are The Romans

Simply one of the most influential hardcore bands, whether any of the bands that rip them off have heard them or not. Botch were math metal gods, and should (and sometimes are) rightly mentioned with The Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, and old Cave In. We Are The Romans are their masterpiece. It's a schizophrenic romp through chaotic noise and incredibly sturctured and tight writing. They seem able to make the conventional rules of hard music bend to their mighty will.

The lyrics deal with lots of issues such as the state of music at the time, (anti)religion, and other things that piss them off. The vocalist doesnt do much than scream, so don't expect any Atreyu style clean choruses if you just started getting into harder stuff. This is "core" for those who are into something different. His screaming doesn't vary often, but is appropriate for this style of music.

When comparing Botch to current bands, you must remember that pretty much none of the rabid fans of these bands knew that Botch ever existed. Bands like Norma Jean, the Chariot, and Fear Before The March of Flames have adopted much of the style that Botch revolutionized. If you like those bands, Botch are your new favorite band, minus the eyeliner. If you're not into that shit, just imagine Converge with Dillinger's singer. We Are The Romans is genius. Botch broke up in 2002. RIP.

ricky butler
    This is and always was a Hydra Head release. It has been recently re-issued with bonus tracks, maybe a re-mastering. I'd give it a 10.
    Music_Eater
    Nothing such as botch. They make metalcore acts look like Romanians. Brian Cook is a master