We Are The Romans Review

Botch: We Are The Romans
Release Date: Jan 1, 2000
Label: Trustkill
Genres: Hardcore Punk, Heavy Metal
It's still an impressive release that is generally stronger for its ambitions - lyrical and otherwise - despite the little bit of baggage they yield.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
We Are The Romans Reviewed by: Zorrobudday, on december 07, 2005

Sound: Simply one of the most influential hardcore bands, whether any of the bands that rip them off have heard them or not. Botch were math metal gods, and should (and sometimes are) rightly mentioned with The Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, and old Cave In. We Are The Romans are their masterpiece. It's a schizophrenic romp through chaotic noise and incredibly sturctured and tight writing. They seem able to make the conventional rules of hard music bend to their mighty will. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics deal with lots of issues such as the state of music at the time, (anti)religion, and other things that piss them off. The vocalist doesnt do much than scream, so don't expect any Atreyu style clean choruses if you just started getting into harder stuff. This is "core" for those who are into something different. His screaming doesn't vary often, but is appropriate for this style of music. // 9

Overall Impression: When comparing Botch to current bands, you must remember that pretty much none of the rabid fans of these bands knew that Botch ever existed. Bands like Norma Jean, the Chariot, and Fear Before The March of Flames have adopted much of the style that Botch revolutionized. If you like those bands, Botch are your new favorite band, minus the eyeliner. If you're not into that shit, just imagine Converge with Dillinger's singer. We Are The Romans is genius. Botch broke up in 2002. RIP. // 10

Comments