Sorry For Partyin' review by Bowling for Soup

• Released: Oct 12, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Bowling for Soup: Sorry For Partyin'

The new record from the Texas based pop punk, happy go lucky band, Bowling For Soup leaves much to be desired. I spent most of high school listening to these guys after hearing them for the first time on NHL 2001 (I think it was) playing Punk Rock 101. From there on in, I was hooked. I almost tabbed the entire "Great Burrito Extortion Case" but I have no plans for this train wreck. The use of synth becomes almost too much to bare. They do stick true to the pop-punk guitar and drum patterns but its over shadowed by the overuse of keyboards. Cut out the synth and terrible lyrics and you'd swear it was actually them but that ship has sailed I guess.

The lyrical content on this album has to be the biggest let down. After hearing the first track, "Really Cool Dance Song" I threw up a tiny bit in my mouth. It basically uses the same format as one of Eminem's humorous songs which are awful. This comes as a shock because BFS was known for there heartfelt ballads and upbeat attitudes but now they seem to be missing any sincerity whatsoever. Jaret's voice is still exactly the same as on the other 7 albums that came before this and thats the only positive thing I can say about it. Nonsense ideas, voice overs and little children talking are not what I expected. Get it together guys.

Sorry For Partyin' comes no where close to pretty much every song they have released in the past, including B-Side recordings and cover songs. I'd rather listen to the cover of "London Bridge" by Fergie than the majority of the songs presented here, which says alot. Two songs I can stomach are "BFFF" and "Me With No You" and this is only because they mimic their old style. The best thing about this album has to be the cover art because these guys are still the masters of the photo-op. It's really discouraging that I wasted several months anticipating this record just to be stripped of my faith in owning another collection of songs to pick me up when I'm down. I'd say I'm a massive fan of BFS (or was) and even I didn't enjoy this, so skip this one if you just think they're "Okay". I'll take "Drunk Enough To Dance" or even "A Hangover You Don't Deserve' thank you. Sigh.

stueey
    WTF are you talking about? Alot of those songs are so funny. The only 'bad' song on there is dance song. I dont like this review. but then again. It's only an opinion.
    bambi89
    heard my wena and thought it was shite and i was hoping the rest of the album wasn't as bad, guess it might be
    Bozjoarmstrong
    this is an awesome album im not even kidding this review has got it all wrong imo, there's only synths in 'A Really Cool Dance Song' and that's pretty self-explanatory. i thought TGBEC was pretty poor, but this is their best yet.
    Pricer
    this is a great album. A Really Cool Dance is song is great. its a joke song. its meant to make people realize that the music industry is falling to shit. its a great album. 9/10
    Ic3
    This is one of the best albums . Love every one song , to bad the I'll always will remembre you is not on the album
    tbailey12
    dude...i was impressed with this album. i knew they were getting on in years and i feared the worst, but i was pleasantly surprised when i listened to it. there was only one song i don't really like, and all the other ones are great. for people reading this...if you are a bfs fan, at least check it out yourself and give it a chance. by the way, "a really cool dance song" is sarcastic. it's about how all the new music coming out these days sucks, and i find the song very amusing and absolutely true.
    Compy01
    This review is a joke. All the songs are funny and pleasant to listen to, and for a toilet humour band the lyrics are as good as they can get! I think what Jaret did lyrically with BFFF and My Wena is clever, actually. 8/10
    JayLacelle
    holy shit these guys are still making music? i thought they would have been shot by now...
    gdsum41fan
    bfs always has been a terrible band and jaret has always tried and failed at immitating tom delonge