The Great Burrito Extortion Case review by Bowling for Soup

• Released: Nov 7, 2006
Bowling for Soup: The Great Burrito Extortion Case

Bowling For Soup retains its rightful throne for being the foremost band obsessed with pop-culture on The Great Burrito Extortion Case. If you were a fan of the band's hit song 1985, then the latest CD will undoubtedly have you chuckling throughout. But when you get past the lyrical content, the music just doesn't ever seem highly original. There are the fans out there, however, who will be able to overlook the musical shortcomings for any song that can mention Reese Witherspoon, Bill Gates, and Jack Black in the same verse. I'm Gay is one of the best tracks on the new album, and it's not even because of the goofy title. The song consists of several different musical sections that keep it from following a usual pop-punk format. Vocalist Jaret Reddick quickens his delivery, then suddenly slows it down again, making I'm Gay seem like one fun sing-along. The song culminates in a climactic la-la-la section, which although comes out of nowhere, does kind of give the track almost a Hey Jude feel. But rest assured, the band is definitely not trying to be The Beatles. Bowling For Soup (vocalist/guitarist Jaret Reddick, guitarist Chris Burney, bassist Erik Chandler, and drummer Gary Wiseman) does incorporate its signature harmonies throughout, providing highlights in several songs. While vocalist does rely on harmonies through much of the record, the most effective use is in Much More Beautiful Person. What makes this track different is that Reddick starts by singing the verse in a lower register with no backing harmonies behind it. When you contrast this section with the higher vocals that are added in, that difference allows the song to have a completely different feel than the other songs on The Great Burrito Extortion Case. Throw in the additional backing vocals from Lesley Roy, and the female presence takes the song in a fresh direction as well. The primary problem with Bowling For Soup is that they allow the lyrics to take over the songs most of the time. A song like A Friendly Goodbye is likeable enough, but it's only because it draws on a lot of familiar human emotions in a humorous way. When you take away the chorus, which features F U as the primary lyric (no abbreviations there, those are the lyrics), you get a fairly dull strumming pattern that never really goes anywhere interesting. Don't get me wrong, people will love the idea of a song that screams an almost-expletive in the chorus, but it's just not breaking any new ground.

Bowling For Soup has a distinct style that cannot be confused with pretty much anyone out there, and that is a pretty powerful thing itself. The band loves referencing pop culture and the latest album is full of witty observations of contemporary life. While the lyrics do tend to get contrived after a while, the band does go beyond what you normally hear in a rock song. One of the most entertaining tracks lyrically is Val Kilmer. The song actually as almost nothing to do with Kilmer, but rather it reflects on how life has become more of a tearjerker than an action-adventure. Reddick sings, So if you miss my movie; get the DVD; Check out the chemistry; Between you and me; Less 'Raising Arizona'; More 'Steel Magnolias.' There are few bands out there that do the entertaining job of working in specific movie trivia that Bowling For Soup does. A Friendly Goodbye is another great example at how the guys find new ways to write break-up songs. Rather than spout blatantly venomous lyrics, the band shows how even clean phrases can deliver feelings of distaste for an ex. Reddick sings, Cause I loved you even more that you could ever imagine; Here's a friendly goodbye 5, 6, 7; Ain't that a b with an itch, ain't that a mother trucker; You can go to h-e-double hockey sticks and f yourself. Good, clean, fun, it is.

Bowling For Soup is undoubtedly a fun-loving band, feel-good band that will please its die-hard fans with The Great Burrito Extortion Case. The personality in the lyrics can be heard in every line that is sung or played, and that is a big plus. Almost every song on the album has lyrics that will jump out at you and the band deserves credit for keeping the album creative. While the band has plenty of energy behind the tracks, the songwriting is still lacking in many areas. Too many of the tracks sound the same and even the harmonies tend to get old after a while. If Bowling For Soup could just match up the lyrical quality to the music, the guys might not have to always rely on lines about Chuck Norris or pooper scoopers to keep your attention.

Tele88
    flaccid james wrote: these guys can go to jolly pirate donuts and take a two hour shit for all i care!!!!!
    Wonderful! Now, if you care that less about this band then why did you take 2 minutes out of your life to leave that irrelevant piece of information with anyone reading a serious review of this album?!? Let's face it, there are too many pop punk bands out there, trying to be goofy etc. But having seen these guys live and met them twice, I cannot put them down as another wannabe 'funny' band. Their self-depreciation is so strong; they don't take anything seriously, especially not themselves. I don't particularly care if some music snob tells me "this band isn't great by any means" or I'm an idiot to buy their CDs (which assumes that all I buy is music like this. I don't care, I'm not lonely enough to reel off all the 'respectable' bands I listen to for strangers on the Internet). This band never ceases to put a smile on my face and have got a winning formula. All sounds the same? I'd be upset if they changed.
    guitaristdave
    amazing album! i love it it does have 2/3 more mature songs, even then though, they still have the odd funny lyric in which i think is really cool i love bfs and ive seen them three times i cant wait to see them in february
    kaptink
    lol i always think that the vocal harmonies on some BFS songs sounded just like the beatles.
    Lettboy
    bfs is very different than most of the bands out there they fly far under the radar, but they take pop punk to a whole new level. while they may seem like a cookie-cutter band like taking back sunday for instance, they have a whole more mature aspect to their music. though theyll say alot of things that are funny and whatnot, they do it in a smart way. and when they sing serious songs they pull it off very well too, so they can do a whole spectrum of songs instead of focusing on fast guitars and cliche lyrics. if anyone here is bitching about bfs then they obviousely dont like the genre, so you have no merrit at all to bash one particular band.
    deyanna23
    Dazzlex wrote: Urgh! I had totally gone off Bowling for Soup ever since that "Girl All The Bad Guy's Want" video where they were making fun of Staind.. What the **** was that all about?! Sure they can trash Fred Durst, that guy's a loser, but Staind are great!!
    it's not like they were trashing the music of Staind, they were just poking fun at how seriously they take themselves. One of the lyrics on Burrito even says, "I think rock 'n roll is really funny when it's serious"....it's not about offending anyone, just having a good time. This is the only band that never fails to put me in a good mood no matter how horrible my day was, and for that I will always be a huge fan!
    thesecondman
    I'm surprised no one mentioned "When we die." this is one of my favorite songs of all time... a lot of meaning... and that's something this band can never be accused of lacking.
    C-S-M
    BFS has been one of the only bands to keep their music and lyric style going since they started. Their look hasn't changed, their music hasn't changed, and their great lyrics and catchy choruses haven't changed, which should be noticed by all. As much as I enjoy Green Day's and blink's music, they have both changed styles, and/or crossed over to more mature levels. The point of pop-punk is to keep the immature people (LIKE ME) and most teens entertained. BFS still keep that immaturity alive, and they have my vote on best ongoing pop-punk band!
    Sittinduck
    I like em, and I usually don't like that kind of music, so I guess they must be good or something
    genresrforposer
    Considering my two favorite genres are pop-punk and metal, and both BFS and Pantera are/were based where I was born/live(Dallas, Texas) I'm starting to feel a lot better about my home city. .... even if it does have almost nothing culturally interesting(ok the Kennedy Museum is kinda cool.... the first time)
    Broken-pick
    I love BFS because they've never changed.Look at Blink and Greenday.I used to listen to them because of their catchy songs,but they've 'grown up',which sorta defeats the reason I listen to pop punk.I'd listen to Metallica if i wanted to listen to serious music.
    S2S
    Bowling For Soup retains its rightful throne for being the foremost band that always attempts to be funny and never succeeds.
    xXbleed4meXx
    adriap wrote: I disagree with most of what is said in this review. In my opinion, these guys are the greatest band to ever walk the planet. Their lyrics ARE original, their music is catchy, and they manage to get their point across on some serious issues without having to give up their happy persona. Bowling For Soup is a talented and real group of people and I hope they keep the great material coming.
    Greatest band ever to walk the planet? C'mon dude that's stretching it...
    rocknrolldogs
    This band isn't great by any means. They use cheap tricks to get idiots to buy their cds. This CD tries to be funny but it just doesn't cut it and it drops more Celeb's names than the insider. This might be your last BFS CD. 5/10(email me at anotherbandwithaplan@yahoo.com if you wanna try to defend) p.s. I am new to this UG site so could someone email the basics or something ????
    flaccid james
    this band sucks.. saw them on some direct tv channel and their feeble attempts to make any sort of joke or any statement that had any humorous merit to it failed miserably. i could tell the crown wasnt feeling it either.
    Gibson0726
    kurtmb wrote: How old are you guys....2? maybe 3?.....are you all on ****ing crack. BFS...orginal...GODS?????.....GREATEST BAND TO EVER WALK THE PLANET????? Holy ****ing shit, that is the most retarded thing i've ever heard. I'm really sorry if I offend any little children, but for all the others, unless you have the IQ of rock, there's no way you could say that. Its just the truth.
    I like your use of vocabulary, all you need to do is use the word gay as an adjective and you're set. But I do agree with...what you're saying essentialy, I really don't see how it's possible for BFS...or for that matter any real new band to be "the greatest" even for their genre because we haven't had time to see if their music lives on...
    adriap
    "Tele" Steve
    Zell182 wrote: They're ok but really repetitive. Blink will always rule the pop-punk genre
    Personally, I'd say Green Day.
    Zell182
    They're ok but really repetitive. Blink will always rule the pop-punk genre
    trox
    they band is awesome and their music cant really be put into a genre which makes it really cool
    StueyALBB
    its not all about being musically origonal. its about just having a laugh. and thats what bowling for soup do best.
    Broken-pick
    Haha,Bowling for soup never fails to make me laugh,they're one of the best pop punk bands
    Dazzlex