Boxcar Racer review by Box Car Racer

• Released: May 21, 2002
Box Car Racer: Boxcar Racer

Tom's riffs are definately more melencholy and harder which gives it a distinct sound from its Blink 182 past. I like the sound of all the songs on this album but my favorite is Elevator. The drum beat is catchy and toms tosses in a cool little riff thats really easy to play. Overall this CD has strong points and softies. So I'd call this album punk even though it comes from mostly a pop-punk past.

When I bought this CD I could not belive it was Tom DeLonge who wrote the lyrcis. I didn't hear any influence of Blink 182 on this album lyrically. My favorite lyrics in the song are on Elevator. The Buliding turned its back ignored my call. The concrete looks to thin to break my fall the lyrics are really dark but genius I think! I think Tom's singing fits most of these lyrics well. His voice just seems to fit these lyrics.

This is personally one of my favorite albums. I won't lie I bought b/c I heard Tom and Travis were in the band but after a week or so I wanted to hear Boxcar, not Blink. I love how tom speaks from his heart and is almost telling you a story in some songs. I didn't like how in some songs they have distortion over toms voice. But all in all I'm a big fan and the choice is up to you wheter to buy it or not.