Boxcar Racer Review

9.1
 8.6
 9.5
Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: home sick alien, on january 20, 2004

Sound: To me, this rips all the things we hate about mordern day punk rivial. No fart jokes, no unjustified horny sex cravings and very little bouncy happy songs. Its a pity this will go down as "that guy from blinks other band" as it is a modern day classic. While being more hardcore than blink, there is an edge to this album that segregates it from being compared to "what it is to burn" or "deeply dressed and in casual conversation", but in a good way. Many emotions come through on this crunchy guitars. Or the bite of the acostic songs or the reverb on the slower ones. You could learn the parts to this in a day. But it would take years to write something of this standard. // 10

Lyrics: No songs about the usal blink topics (except my first punk song, it does refer to toms genital standing and an act with the listeners brother...) This time the lyrics mean quite a lot really. I feel so, is really a song you could listen to any time you feel like throwing stuff around in rage. Any time your pissed off. Theres suicide, feelings of worthlessness in a world full of people who change it and of course love. But the albums hugh point is definitely letters to god. A song about dying and wanting to go back. The songs acoustic drive is shattered in a creshendo you didn't see coming, as it comes out of a middle 8 piano part into deafing chords. Great stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: Buy this. It doesn't matter that you're sick of Blink being naked on MTV, this isn't the same. A dark meaningfull side to Tom Delonge. If Jimmy Eat World and Finch are the punk you prefer, this is essintal. Just a pity it was overlooked. A bloody excellent album. // 10

Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2004

Sound: It sounds a whole lot like the newest selftitled Blink 182 cd, or take off your pants and jacket, so you can judge that by yourself. However without Mark in the band the songs loose alot of the melody. It's not an incredibly unique sound even putting its connection to Blink 182 aside. // 4

Lyrics: I personaly find the lyrics to contain too much teen angst, and complaining. And it upsets me that this comes from grown married men with children. I don't see how people find teen angst and complaining to be mature as many people claim it is. Toms singing hasn't improved very much from Blink 182s earliest days, however it dose sound slightly better after the studio effects have been added in. If you can get past everything I've just said you could find yourself with average lyrics and singing. // 6

Overall Impression: Fortanatly, the Boxcar Racers website has free downloads of their presumably good songs, so I didn't have to spend any money on this, or hear any of the relativly bad songs. One thing that I think is a great idea though is having fans submit videos for the songs. I beleive that at best Boxcar Racer is only an average band at best. You can find better music at local music shows. It is fair to say that this band was only signed becuase it is made up of people from already popular bands, and becuase it fits in well with the current mtv punk scene. // 6

Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2005

Sound: The overall sound on this album is very good. The music fits perfectly with the lyrics, and together they make some kickass songs. The wail of the electric guitar is awesome, so soulful! The only song that isn't done well is Elevator. Don't get me wrong, its a great song, but it's too cheery sounding to be about killing yourself. The sound isn't amazing, but its still some of the best punk around. // 8

Lyrics: Tom DeLong's voice isn't so great, but I like it. It fits perfectly into the songs and is just part of the overall genious of the songs. On a lot of tracks, the lyrics are what makes the song. On Letters To God, the anxious, sorrowful plee is awesome. On Watch The World, which is the best damn song on the album, lines like, "I saw a field that grew perfection full of things you do" make it amazing and almost poetic. // 10

Overall Impression: Boxcar Racer is just as good, if not better than Blink 182. It's a must have. All the songs are great, and it's matured since the days Tom sang of blow jobs and ejaculation. The overall effect is breathtaking. // 10

Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 08, 2005

Sound: Tom's riffs are definately more melencholy and harder which gives it a distinct sound from its Blink 182 past. I like the sound of all the songs on this album but my favorite is Elevator. The drum beat is catchy and toms tosses in a cool little riff thats really easy to play. Overall this CD has strong points and softies. So I'd call this album punk even though it comes from mostly a pop-punk past. // 8

Lyrics: When I bought this CD I could not belive it was Tom DeLonge who wrote the lyrcis. I didn't hear any influence of Blink 182 on this album lyrically. My favorite lyrics in the song are on Elevator. The Buliding turned its back ignored my call. The concrete looks to thin to break my fall the lyrics are really dark but genius I think! I think Tom's singing fits most of these lyrics well. His voice just seems to fit these lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is personally one of my favorite albums. I won't lie I bought b/c I heard Tom and Travis were in the band but after a week or so I wanted to hear Boxcar, not Blink. I love how tom speaks from his heart and is almost telling you a story in some songs. I didn't like how in some songs they have distortion over toms voice. But all in all I'm a big fan and the choice is up to you wheter to buy it or not. // 10

Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: peepee182, on february 14, 2006

Sound: I think the sound was perfect, no flaws, no mistakes. Travis went all out on the drums adding a lot of the his high school marching band stuff in it. The songs Cat Like Theif, There Is, and Elevater are just simple beats that Travis does not show off his amazing skill. Other songs like I Feel So and the second half of Letters to God Travis plays so well and just blows your mind at the drums. Tom's voice is beautiful and he reaches his inner self in this album. I'd give it two thumbs up! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, as usalual are from the heart. People say Tom grows up in this album, I Think so to. He reaches an important part of his inner thoughts and sings them to the world. His affection for love and passion is really expressed in this album. His voice goes so well with his music and just lifts you up. Elavater is my favorite song because Mark sings in it and he really sounds so amazing and so good in it. I give it 2 thumbs up! // 9

Overall Impression: It dont compare to Blink 182, without mark Tom is almost nothing, viseversa with Mark. Watch the World is really impressive because of the bass and drums. One of Travis's best on the drums. The lyrics in the song are so meaningful. There Is is very amazing and perfect. There is nothing about the album that I hate, I love every bit of it. If it was stolen I would buy it agian. It's already happend! If I had another have it would be three! // 10

Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: Creampufordumys, on june 21, 2004

Sound: The Sound is definitely a darker side to the tom delonge music writing. The sound is more hardcore punk than pop punk. Doesn't innovate greatly, but is some of the best of this genre. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a lot more emotional and angry, straying from the Blink 182 joke and humor (not that that is bad). This band could be compared with the new Blink 182, just a little bit harder. Some of the lyrics almost made me cry. Almost. // 10

Overall Impression: The Sad part of this, is that this band will just be known as a Blink 182 sidenote, but it is one of the greatest punk acheivments I've ever heard. If this was stolen, I wouldn't be surprised, because it is so good. The highlight of this cd has to be "Letters To God" a very excellent song that is all acoustic until the end. The only bad part of this cd is "My First Punk Song" which I wouldn't be surprised if it was delonge's first song, because its not all that great, but definately does not hurt the album at all. If you ever find this cd, buy it, even if you are a Blink hater, because it is different. // 10

Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: TheMutts, on december 20, 2004

Sound: The sound is very well done I must say actually. I'm sure the people reading this want to know whether to buy this album for various reasons. I'll try and give you all I can. Given the fact that Tom Delonge and Travis Barker started this band just as a sideproject from Blink 182. The sounds are different (that is, until the selftitled Blink 182 cd was released). You will notice that Boxcar Racer is a lot heavier than the previous Blink 182 CDs. The riffs are extremely easy too, so the guitar players can just pick them right up. Overall sound, I would give it a 4 because it's different but nothing to extraordinary. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics I like! Some of the songs can tell you a story if you listen. Some sounds could have several meanings to several people, its all in the eye of the beholder. The lyrics can deliver a powerful message if you listen. Watch The World is a good sound with powerful lyrics that actually had me thinking about the song after it was done playing! Well I guess needless to say the lyrics on this album are extremely good! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I really like the Boxcar Racer album. I just don't think it's amazingly fantastic as other albums. I would give it a 4 because I would've like to somehow seen more out of it. The songs don't have much of a divercity except for the "My First Punk Song" track. And if I lost the CD I probably would buy it again, but maybe I won't. I suggest going to Amazon and preview the tracks before purchasing the CD. But for my closing statement I do recommend buying it because it's very much worth it. // 8

Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: fli.pansy, on october 23, 2006

Sound: Boxcar Racer, being Toms band from Blink 182, has a lot of things to say in this band. Delonge has step over the Blink boundaries on his boxcar album, and sounds quite different from Blink. Tom and Travis make an excellent pair together, and in this album, they show exactly that. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this band are quite strong, and have a few depressing side to the band. Even though they have depressing lyrics, the guitar and drums don't even make it feel emo or anything, which is a hard thing to do in an album. Tom's voice also sounds really good in this album. I alos like this album because it shows what Tom wanted to say in Blink, but couldn't use this material because Mark also had his own ideas, which kind of cancelled out Toms. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is very meaningful, and has a lot to say about the world. The things I love about this album is the powerful lyrics/vocals, and the drumming. If I ever lost this album, I would definately go out and buy it. One of the reasons why I didn't give this CD 10/10, is because when two of the three blink members did this side project, Mark and Tom had gone slightly down hill with their relationship, and Blink being my favourite band, I hated the fact that this was one of the reasons why Blink broke up. // 9

Boxcar Racer Reviewed by: Tster, on march 24, 2007

Sound: Tom Delonge one of the guys behind Blink 182 created this master piece. They have two different 'sounds' on this album; one is slightly heavy and the other is light-ish with a good beat to go with it. It's a really good album but if you're a really big Blink 182 fan don't jump in and buy it check it out first since you can't really see much of Blink 182 in the album. My impression of the album is that the album is really amazing but one or two of the songs are a bit useless. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are more mature than Blink 182's lyrics but this is a positive thing since you don't want the exactly the same sound and type of lyrics. They go over some serious topics like in track 3 'Watch The World' which is a bit different for Tom Delonge back in 02' since Blink 182 it's all like that. Tom's skills as a singer are excellent he has really improved big time over the course of his carrier. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to Blink 182 it's really nothing special but if your into this sort of music it's a must buy. The most impressive songs on the album have to be Watch The World, And I, Letters To God, There Is and Elevator. Worst track is My First Punk Song. I love how this album twists the music around but I don't like some of the ideas for it that they went along with on it. Maybe it could be slightly more polished otherwise it's great. If I lost it or it was stolen and I saw it in the bargain bin I'd defiantly grab it. // 8

Comments