Stars And The Sea review by Boy Kill Boy

• Released: Mar 31, 2008
Boy Kill Boy: Stars And The Sea

From the first listen to this album, I remembered why I fell in love with boy kill boy. I picked up 'Civilian' from the cover alone, and my eyes were immediately opened to the world of Boy Kill Boy. And with the wait for the new album, I was pleasantly surprised when 'Promises', the first track of the album, sprung into life. Immediately noticeable was to what extent the vocals had developed since 'Civilian'. Although it has lost the 'Boy Kill Boy' vibe that 'Civilian' had, and has progressed more towards the 'Arctic Monkeys' stylization of vocals, which for me was a major disappointment when I first listened to 'Promises'. However, by the time the third track 'Be Someone' rolls around, the trade mark feel that 'Civilian' had is back, and it's better. The rest of the album is just another tantalizing melange of raw guitars with simple solo's and underlying synths.

With the trademark simplicity that brands boy kill boys lyrics, those of 'Stars And The Sea' do not really differ in terms of their simplicity, or the presence of cliched or slightly humorous lyrics. However, the lyrics converge well with the music, and the occasional harmonies bring out an emphasis. However, if you were expecting shakespeare, then you will be sadly disappointed by the seeming meaningless of some of their lyrics.

Compared to 'Civilian', it is possible to see that at the heart, 'Boy Kill Boy' is still very much the same band. However, their music and the vocals demonstrate their slight progression; and the development is very slight, and in some aspects it is almost unnoticeable, which means that old fans will not be put off, and there is a great prospect of drawing in new fans as well. If lost, I would buy another album, but it would be played less often than 'Civilian'.