Boys Like Girls review by Boys Like Girls

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Boys Like Girls: Boys Like Girls

Boston native Boys Like Girls are getting set to release their self titled debut full length album next month and have put together a vibrant, loud, and extremely catchy package of 12 songs that you will be spinning all summer long. Boys Like Girls teamed up with producer Matt Squire (Thrice, Hit The Lights, The Receiving End Of Sirens) for the album and the product is a clean cut album that sounds great to the common ear and is sure to please everyone from scenesters to your local teen mallrat (and maybe a little of both). The album starts off with the track "The Great Escape" which is a catchy little number showcasing Boys Like Girls infectious hooks and guitar lines mixed with extremely bland and cliche lyrics. Throw it away, forget yesterday, we'll make the great escape is just one of many boring lyrics on this album. The next two tracks are also very catchy and sink into you. You will be singing most of the tracks on this album for weeks straight until you take it out of your disc player, or computer which is exactly what I find myself doing now.

The middle tracks, 5-9, on this album slow down the album a bit and aren't as enjoyable and as promising as the beginning of the album. The predictable pattern of into/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/outro gets old quite fast and doesn't hold your attention very well. The lyrics to Dance Hall Drug are almost laughable and if it weren't for great production and decent vocals I would trash this album. The ending to the album is pretty strong although. Heel's Over Head is a great track and offers a little diversity in an album filled with no originality and predictability. Broken Man is one of the catchiest tracks on the album, in my opinion, and really gets you singing along. Holiday is the perfect choice for an ending to the album but I find myself skipping over it because I want the album to be over.

For a debut album, Boys Like Girls have put out a halfway decent album and show a lot of potential. Their hooks are quite infectious, catchy, and vibrant. The vocals are pleasing to the ear, and their instrumentation shows some talent. I just can't help but write this album off as nothing but decent. It's catchy, it's fun, it's perfect for the summer, but that's about it. Once the summer is over, and my feet aren't sandy anymore, this album will probably collect some dust on my shelves. Hopefully the guys will develop their own sound in the next few years and come out with a great record. But for now, in one word, this album is mediocore.

J-Whitt
    boyan89 wrote: Mr.Kool wrote: pretty decent..learn thunder if u wanna get laid..haha meh i dont like boys like girls, but if you wanna get laid play metal....man girls go crazy when they hear that shit and most of them are hot brunettes hahaha
    Girls don't like metal, they like the guitar playing. You could play anything on guitar and they would like it...
    yoipanicked
    Okay, one, I am not a fan of metal and I'd punch the fool that tried to play that for me. So go to hell whoever wrote that. And two, this album is amazing. They are an amazing band with great talent. Have you seen them play? I mean, they aren't The Beatles, but it's their first album. Let's see one of you put together a band with actual talent and write and explosive debut album.
    nickel3t
    this is a very good album...i would give it 10's all the way through but thats me...
    Chuck Tuck
    I love this album...especially Broken Man and Heroheroine....but thats just me
    Riotgirrl*
    Boys like girls is a good band, but I finished to be bored by their songs. They have good rythms, but their lyrics are not really profound and I think, like Veloriumcamper say in his review, it's music we only listen in summer. For their first album it's quite good, but I already saw better... Like we say in french: ''C'est mon band qutaine''
    paxtonRAVE
    okay no no no no no no NOOOO!! HALFWAY descent? who in the world is the critic for this website? AMAZING album
    snype26
    A good album, but outstanding for a debut-this band has the potential to be much more than they are. Catchy, fun tunes along with driving melodies and excellent lyrics make this a must-have CD for any and all Pop/Rock fan. The song structure can get repetitive at times and the vocals can tend to blend together, but overall a very nice effort. 8/10
    yoipanicked
    Okay first of all, I hate metal and would pynch the ass that played that for me. Second of all this band is amazing. They have amazing talent. I mean, have you ever heard them live??? Yeah, they're not The Beatles but it's their first album. Let's see one of you put together a band with real talent and write an explosive debut album.
    dreamx3
    wow. for those of you who say learn "thunder" just to get laid obviously don't appreciate the song OR the band so don't waste your time (and other people's) by posting your immature comments here. i have to disagree. their lyrics deserve a much higher rating..do you know what they're about? you have to really understand them and dig deeper than your first impression. they're personal, they mean something, and they're so different than the other songs that are out there. that's one of the reasons why BLG is so unique. their lyrics are one of my favorite things about them.
    boyan89
    Mr.Kool wrote: pretty decent..learn thunder if u wanna get laid..haha