Love Drunk review by Boys Like Girls

• Released: Sep 8, 2009
Boys Like Girls: Love Drunk

Boys Like Girls made a name for themselves as one of America's most celebrated power pop bands of the new millennium with their self-titled debut release, but their follow up album, Love Drunk, is even more appetizing. With less emphasis on party pop platters and more substance in terms of crunchy guitars and explosive shreds from lead guitarist Paul DiGiovanni and lead singer/rhythm guitarist Martin Johnson, Boys Like Girls deliver satisfaction to audiences with a taste for guitar-branded rock. No longer the new kids in power punk, Boys Like Girls have the tight rack-and-pinion steering of Finger Eleven, the growling engines of Three Days Grace, and an underbelly of throbbing rumbles reminiscent of Tantric. Bassist Brian Donahue and drummer John Keefe offer chunky rips with the blunt of beefy fists slamming hard on granite as Johnson's vocals whip around the course with the instincts and agility of a mogul skier plunging down rocky slopes. Who knew they had this in them moving into modern rock terrain clothed in huge productions and trailed in bloated guitar vibrations with a fiery cycling that produces robust strokes in the rhythmic action. A number of tracks are designed to rev-up audiences by harnessing bars of chorus parts that mobilize fans to sing along with the band like in the title track and Chemicals Collide. It's like the band takes their cues from Bon Jovi enabling audience participation. The bobbing pumps of She's Got A Boyfriend Now and Real Thing burrow in the mind and make for catchy tunes that you can retrieve when you are reaching for song to sing along to while doing some mundane task. The roar of the guitars steaming up Contagious is trussed up in burly bass beats and rapid paddling in the drum strikes. Boys like Girls lower their gears to the dreamy acoustics and orchestral swirls of Two Is Better Than One and the folksy strips of Someone Like You. The soft rock rustling and coasting spins of The First One are disarming, and the acoustic plumes of Go have a romantic touch that aims its arrow right for human vulnerabilities.

The lyrics are direct and convey human emotions such as regret in She's Got A Boyfriend Now with bold confessions that tell, Wish that I could turn this car around / but she's got a boyfriend now Nothing goes the way you expect it. Other confessions warn, The first one is the worst one when it comes to a broken heart from The First One, or proclaiming that I can't live without you I'm thinking two is better than one from Two Is Better Than One. There are also moments of reflection like in Someone Like You as Johnson implores, Who can save me now / My life in the rear view running from Jesus / Don't know where I'm going to / I got nothing to lose / I'm fighting my demons / Been looking for someone like you. The lyrics are revealing about human vulnerabilities and provide a platform to confess deeply embedded feelings.

Love Drunk lets audiences into Boys Like Girls rock n' roll fantasy. The album is to Boys Like Girls what Slippery When Wet is to Bon Jovi. It is geared for arena-sized audiences and reveals Boys Like Girls modern rock chops. It is the type of album that fans will be describing as classic rock twenty-years from now, but for today it is a modern rock n' roll fantasy.

5150addict
    I've never liked this band and all the bands they the writer made comparisons to made me hate them even more. three days grace? tantric? come on. I could write a better music review then this shit.,
    VegetaSWE
    there lyrics are as bad as mind...but they write nice pop/punk melodys who stays on your mind and it much better for young girls to listen to them than to other shit whos out there so ..they are good for musik even if there musik aint the best..
    WyldeMan666
    wtf I didnt know band could have "tight rack-and-pinion steering" maybe they can come help me fix my truck while there at it
    chrisdazzo
    I'm going to agree with Dallen_007 here. You have to listen to this album to truly see if you like it or not. Shame that so many people commenting here have the worst grammar/spelling I've ever seen; I don't think they'll have to worry about not listening to this in 20 years. Weird, though: it seems that Jason Mraz fans (assuming GeekInThePink's name refers to Mraz's song) don't like this band. Oh well. To each his own, I suppose.
    nautiluspfd
    Terrible review. The new album has nothing in common whatsoever with finger 11 or three days grace. In all actuallity love drunk resembles a Miley Cyrus album with male vocals. I actually enjoyed their first album, but this new one sounds like it was geared towards the Disney audience. Also there is a lyric that states that "now she has a boyfriend and Im in a rock band". Yikes. Didn't Avril lavigne already write something like that?
    oncenfutureidio
    Boys Like Girls have catchy lyrics, but its not lyrics that I've never heard before. At first they were good, but they are influenced pop garbage. I listened to their new single and was very disappointed by it. There was a real lack of what their first album had and that, my friends, is talent. So I'm sorry Boys Like Girls, this was a disappointment
    GeekInThePink
    chrisdazzo wrote: Iit seems that Jason Mraz fans (assuming GeekInThePink's name refers to Mraz's song) don't like this band. Oh well. To each his own, I suppose.
    Jason's great (though I'm not as into him as I was when I made that username), but I'm not one of those people that eats up everything pop charts throw at me. In fact, I dislike most music on the radio (I do give it a chance first).
    classrock77
    In 20 years this, along with the majority of every thing else the radieo plays will be unheard of, hell, it will be unheard of in 6 months. Classic rock doesnt mean its just old, it means they are the classics of the rock industry that made rock into the giant genre it is today, and will never be forgotten for it. Bands like this =/= classic rock.
    model_15
    Pat_s1t
    !BEN! wrote: i dont think this'll be classic rock in 20 years =/
    My thoughts exactly...
    watchtherain
    this is a lot less pop-ish than their first album and i'm really looking forward to get my hands on it
    Vinushka
    Lyrics definitely don't sound like they deserve an 8. Also, this is basically a lot of pomp and padding with very little actual reviewing. I acknowledge your ability to pull metaphors out of every orifice but all that fancy talk doesn't help us know what the album's like.
    AlexBristolUK
    scimitar_255
    AlexBristolUK wrote: Yeah bit fo a ridiculously written review, made me laugh a bit. Still, 5150addict, if you can write a better music review... then do? Seems simple to me. Naturally people aren't going to like this band but it seems to me a lot of people at the moment are just hideously closed minded and seem to lack understanding of the concept of 'genre'. Genre does exist, and there is variation within it. One emo pop band doesn't sound exactly like the next one, no matter how much your distaste may lead you to believe. I don't come on here and bash reviews for bands or genres you like. I think the reviewer's point regarding classic rock was another example of bad writing, but simply at the moment, its contemporary, written in the present in a genre popular in the present. In the future pretty much anything will be 'classic'. I suppose people will tell me bands like Led Zep are classic rock. I'm not a big fan to be honest. But I'm not gonna bash people who are. Chill out about it. Why take the time to log in and say you don't like something when you could be chatting to like minded people about the last album you actually did enjoy? On topic: I liked the first album, and I'm giving this one a listen right now and I think its cool. Nothing groundbreaking or spectacular but it sounds pretty cool to me. Guess thats one more thing I get to enjoy in my life that some of you guys don't. Sahweeeeet.
    This is quite honestly has the best grammar and punctuation, and also is the most informative and well-written comment I have ever seen on UG. On that note, I've never really liked Boys Like Girls that much...
    Lama
    the lyrics for these really aren't good by any standard. they are standard run of the mill songs about girls and really not much more. i'm not even really impressed with their hooks cause i didn't think any of them were really memorable or anthemic in any way. there are better pop rock bands out there, these guys just happen to have a couple of catchy songs that got them on the radar. and crunchy guitars and explosive shreds?! this is a very electronic sounding pop rock album. i was very underwhelmed with this album. i was hoping for some fun mindless catchy singalong tunes, but instead just found myself skipping to the next track after the first chorus.
    Dallen_007
    Once again the review feels like a review of a bottle of wine. We get it, you have a large vocabulary, but there is no need for these ridiculous reviews. I have yet to hear the album, though this review doesn't really sell it to me at all.
    foster.getagrip
    I agree that this album will be easily forgotten, and alot of other bands sound similar, but in order to be a well rounded musician, you can't just bag on all music you don't like, and then go play Metallica in your room. Lots of "Punk-Pop" bands are really good, such as The Maine, Hit the Lights, and All Time Low. But on the same measure, some "Punk-Pop" bands suck, like Metro Station (currently touring with Hannah Montana), and Jonas Brothers.
    Kirdy
    swyg2
    id like to hear the new album. their self titled wasnt bad.
    5150addict
    If someone at this site would give me a chance I GLADLY would.
    skatarist4life
    Synyster915 wrote: cotton3434 wrote: I read the headline and actually nearly barfed... may god have mercy on me the day I'm forced to endure listening to this. This. Not to mention this will NEVER be considered classic rock, they'll be forgotten in 5 years.
    5 years....they'll be forgotten in less than 1 year
    ragethetool
    This. Not a fan of the band or the music, but somebody obviously enjoys the music, so no reason to bash it. While this band may not be as talented as our beloved Jimmy Page, Paul Gilbert, Satriani, etc. they're still artists and you have to appreciate the fact that it is art.
    Quik Axe Player
    I think people have too many preformed ideas about bands of this type of genre. To me it seems like many people here think that all theses bands are going to be exactly like the Jonas Brothers. Well, this just isn't true. I also think that people judge an album before listening to it. For example, I'm sure that many people thought Chinese Democracy was going to suck. For the record, that album is a fairly solid album, though it still can't be AFD. So, I leave you with my take on peoples' preformed ideas. You can take it or leave it.
    GrayFoxz
    released, 8 sept? isnt it the 3rd/4th wherever u are in the world.. unless that's like a prerelease issue?
    GrayFoxz
    released on 8th sept? isnt this like the 3rd/4th sept wherever anyone is? or is this like a prerelease issue or something. i don't really care much about the band but girls think they make good music.
    Thespade22
    so much close mindedness >< just because its popular, or because it doesn't have 250 bpm solos or technical guitar parts doesn't make it a bad album
    goranwood
    And just because it has boring two-chord progressions and the vocals of Maroon 5 doesn't make it a good one, either.
    hazardmaster
    Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. I enjoy metal, techno, punk, rock, pop, and pretty much every genre except R&B, rap, or classical. Be open minded, people. It's all a matter of opinion! Although personally myself, a classic rock album in 20 years? Nope. But I do this this this album is better than their self-titled debut.
    gtrfreak182
    is this a serious review? boys like girls =/= classic rock and has no relationship to it. it is a generic sounding pop cd that no one will remember 5 years from now. classic rock? you've got to be kidding me.
    nightraven
    Kirdy wrote: chill out women, If u don't like boys like girls don't click the link. Seems pretty ****ing simple to me
    you'd think so... checked
    heyitsperkins
    I like boys like girls, they have a lot of good songs off their first album, and i expect this to be just as good if not better. But classic rock? I think not. Good music, but it wont be remembered 20 years from now like the Avenged Sevenfold's and Shinedown's will be.
    Paro_metalhead
    skatarist4life wrote: Synyster915 wrote: cotton3434 wrote: haha so tue, this band blows I read the headline and actually nearly barfed... may god have mercy on me the day I'm forced to endure listening to this. This. Not to mention this will NEVER be considered classic rock, they'll be forgotten in 5 years. 5 years....they'll be forgotten in less than 1 year
    jayden453
    model_15 wrote: sounds and looks exactly like one of those bands whose soul purpose is to pick up under age chicks at their shows. They really lack any lyrical depth I am quite positive these "dime a dozen" pop/rock artists won't even be thought of in the next 20 years
    Yep These guys have nothing on Bon Jovi. They'll be in and out again like lil pop oncers. Love Drunk and Hungover is'nt exactly lyrical genius.
    HurricaneSG
    i liked the self-titeled album but this disappointed me so much. the lyrics are shallow and most songs are overproduced and lack creativity..
    foster.getagrip
    Well, this isn't my favorite band.. but like others have said before, be open minded. This type of music is the type that all the cute girls listen too, just putting that out there!!!
    daeqwon10000
    These guys are from two towns over, I don't like them, but my girlfriend is obsessed, they write some catchy tunes I guess.
    quicksilver1814
    I think they suck quite honestly. They just use catchy songs about love to teenage girls who sing them. Its just a marketing technique.