5th Gear review by Brad Paisley

• Released: Jun 19, 2007
Brad Paisley: 5th Gear

I was looking forward to this album and now that I have it and listened to it a dozen times, there's so much I can say about it. This album was released just 2 days ago so I was hoping to be the first reviewer [inevitably so]. This album is probably my favourite - it's got everything "Time Well Wasted" had although it only just got better! The lyrics have definitely improved and I no longer worry about the lyrical content of the album (see lyrics). The sound has generally improved with added mixes that seemed inconceivable, given the first 4 albums: there are brass trumpets! Brad hasn't lost his sound and skill and it seems moronic to even suggest that he ever would. I confess I thought this given the pure class that Time Well Wasted was. What I find has also changed in this album, with respect to his previous is the attention he has paid to the introduction of songs. For example, in such songs as, "All I wanted was a Car", "Ticks", "Online", "Mr. Policeman" and "I'm Still a Guy" - there is a real introduction lasting at least 20 seconds. You'll realise what I mean when you listen to the record. I realise it might seem like an absurb idea to say that there is a "real introduction" but what I really mean is that there is a "preface" to each song. I believe that this showcases some of Brad's best playing, at least in country. I am a little disappointed I didn't see much Jazz going for the new album - would love to see him Jazz it up as he did with his previous albums. Well, if anything his playing has got better by a mile and it's hard to see it never will get better - oh yes, there's an instrumental too. I particularly enjoyed the solo in, "Online" in what would be an epic solo over a minute long. I wish people can hear his innovative style of playing and the skill he has on guitar but sadly he seems to be overshadowed because he's, all but simply "country". This is a straight 10.

The lyrics are really a hallmark for this album - more so than his playing I believe. I've always had this pet peeve with lyrics. I generally won't listen to music unless there are good lyrics and clear instrumental talent. I knew Brad's lyrics weren't the best but I knew he would improve. This guy just keeps on going and going. He never stops trying and I now longer care or anticipate what his lyrics will sound like. 5th gear is a fresh change from Time Well Wasted. It has everything that Time Well Wasted has but only better and I cannot tell you how refreshing that may seem. The lyrics are funnier, emphasis on this. The lyrics to, "Online" really made me chuckle more than any other Brad song and the reference to "Krispy Kreames" in Mr. Policeman was inevitable. I remember hearing an interview with Brad about the new album and he did mention the lyrics were really hitting a sour grape, not a negative comment, mind. He was of course, referring to the lyrics in "Ticks" and "I'm Still a Guy". Brad's sense of humour in his lyrics and his exceptional gift of hiding [but not really!] the true meaning has earned him an adult-label free produced album. The sexual inuendo of some of his lyrics are intended to be humourous and I'll be sad to hear them going. To quote Brad - "We really pushed it across the line. We can't do that in the next record with an adult-lable stamped on the record". Well, he said that kids wouldn't get it anyway, lol. It's about time they learn about "gripping a taco box" and "drunk naked girls" and wanting to "check someone for ticks". Asides from the humourous side of the album, Brad [as well saw in his previous albums] can get serious. His heartfelt lyrics really hit a beat in your heart. I'm talking about, "Some Mistakes". It's wonderful and reminds me of the joys of meeting someone for the first time. Another song which really hits you is, "It did". This is Brad's way of illustrating [beautifully] how life has gotten better for him - "It doesn't get better than this but it did". I stress the importance of listening to this album thoroughly. It's quite hard to explain what i'm trying to get to you with an absence of a record on your behalf.

Does it compare to other artists? Hardly. Brad Paisley is one of a kind, he really is. There is no one like him. I can't choose a more impressive song - each one has it's qualities but I do have a favourite and that's, "I'm Still a Guy". Get it now. Really.

Blurry 505
    awesome CD only other guitarist i like better than him is Keith Urban, and theyre both wayyyyy good
    Natrone
    Oh how I love Brad Paisley. He's awesome. Great guitarist, writer, singer, and performer. Unfortunately the one time I saw him was before I could appreciate how awesome he is. Hopefully he comes back to Wichita sometime!
    KB22
    paisley made me pick up a guitar. he's an awesome guitarist and his style is so unique one note will tell you its him great CD btw
    Sloopy
    My wife's a huge Paisley fan. At first I didn't like him at all, but as of late I've come around to his music. I really like his Tele twang chickin-pickin' licks. He does some great ballads too!
    crank-the^bass
    5th Gear is amazing, it definitely has as many singles as Time Well Wasted did on it. Brad Paisley seems to have his own style of guitar which is amazing, it's very country sounding, you can definitely hear the Fender Strat country sound to it. His lyrics on this album are even better thn the last album, and very humorous too, sure they're a little sexual but like Brad says, kids ain't gonna understand it cuz he hides the suggestiveness very well I think. Very good CD.
    bass1991guitar
    Harmonius wrote: Lucky you, he'll never come to the UK
    I know... shame but we can still support him by liking his tunes. Best contemporary Country Artist by far.
    The_bushidoka
    Brad Paisley...(IMO) the best single performer/writer in all of music today. He writes, sings, plays lead, helps set up, develops, helps produce and mix, works concept art and stage production...and doesn't do any of it shoddily. He continues to get better. I thought the review was good although a little hard on Brad's earlier stuff, but I can see where if you just didn't like the lyrics on his other albums, you might like this one. I'm really glad to see him loosening the rein on himself a little at guitar in these last few albums.
    Harmonius
    that1l)ude wrote: you praised his lyrics on this review. thats the single thing thats kept me away from his music. and hardly ever am i picky about lyrics, but the whole theme of most (emphasis on most) country lyrics just plain piss me off. im gonna get the shit flamed out of me but w/e its just my opinion.
    Well, initially [as I said in the review] I didn't find his lyrics all that great but I have all his albums and I can asure you, it is a real improvement. I really like them.
    that1l)ude
    delizio37
    [/quote]Well, he said that kids wouldn't get it anyway, lol. It's about time they learn about "gripping a taco box" and "drunk naked girls" and wanting to "check someone for ticks". [quote] its "you cant grip a tackle box" not a taco box...but if those were the lyrics, then it would be the funniest shit ever
    NemesisX
    Brad Paisley is, I think, god. I love him - he's fantastic. This album is the shit too. All 5 of them are excellent really, but this one is definitely up there.
    waldo899
    this is the guy who really got me into country, and yes keith urban is amazing too but this guy takes him hands down. I cant wait to see him this october in saskatoon its gonna be a blast. And he plays my second favorite guitar lol.
    SeattleJEM7
    never been too much into country but this guy is AMAZING! i mean his guitar playing is phenomenal and hes always been a good writer, being that hes one of the only few country artists that write their own stuff. if you like hearing different styles of guitar playing or just guitar rock, you should check him out. oh and hes waaay better than Keith Urban!
    blaisemetal
    FUCK THIs REDNECK SHIT!!!!! THIS SON OF A BITCH HAS NO TALENT. HE CAN GO FUCK HIMSELF FOR ALL I CARE!!!!! COUNTRY BLOWS COCK!!!!!