Time Well Wasted review by Brad Paisley

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
Brad Paisley: Time Well Wasted

When I bought this CD, I was not a very big country music fan. In fact, I was quite the opposite. I got it because I had seen him on the front cover of Guitar One, and read the interview, and because I was told it would do me good to learn other styles of music besides rock. So, I got this CD, popped it in, and sat there amazed at guitarist I was listening to. I realized why he was on the front cover of that magazine, and why they called him "Eddie Van Halen on cornbread." This guys was tearin' it up! His speed on some songs amazed me, and then his soulful solos on the slower tracks showed that he could put his heart into it too. I had heard that he was influenced by jazz music, and that leaked through a couple of his songs. It was very interesting to hear a country/jazz blend, very cool. The instumental "Time Warp" showcases the talent of Brad and the rest of the band, with every member having a solo piece. Like I said, I wasn't an avid country fan, but this guy converted me!

The lyrics in country music was the main thing that turned me off to it. I like deep, meaningful, metaphoric lyrics that you have to read several times, and then make your individual interpertation. Country music, for the most part, has simple lyrics, with no deep meaing, but they tell a story. So, I didn't listen to lyrics to much on this album, but the lyrics on tracks like "Waitin' On A Woman" and "When I Get Where I'm Goin'" really struck something in me. I knew exactly what he meant, and shared many of the same feelings. He had a good voice, too. Not anything extrordinary, but like I said, I got the album for the music.

Since this is pretty much the only country cd I've gotten, I don't know how to really compare it to others, but I was really impressed with the guitar. "The World," "Alcohol," and "Time Warp" were the most impressive songs on the album to me. I love the guitar and the slight jazz feel throughout the album. If it were lost/stolen, I'd definately get it again.