Quantum Catastrophe review by Brain Drill

• Released: May 11, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Brain Drill: Quantum Catastrophe

The poster boys of techdeath are back with a new offering of earmushing insantiy. Following the release of 2008's debut album, Brain Drill have garnered a pretty big following in only 2 years. Whats made them so big is the over-the-top style of techdeath that they play. This new album is the follow-up to this ludicrous bands debut and its safe to say, it hasn't changed at all. Whats made Brain Drill stand out the most within the quickly growing gathering of new techdeath bands is that they actually try to sound like their namesake: Listening to Quantum Catastrophe IS like having a drill being pushed into your head. Heres the thing: If you're looking for anything new or interesting from this album, you are wasting your time. Its basically the same sort of material with a few changes here and there to make it a little different from the debut: Rediculous amounts of blast beats/gravity blasts, a sweep riff every 10 seconds and the sort of bass levels they use to rupture wholes in the earth. Despite the main sound being overused by a hundred different bands, Brain Drill aren't without talent. Far from it, the musicianship is phenomenal, especially the bassist (who almost exclusively uses two finger tapping for the album to give it a sporadic feel) but all they've achieved is making the exact same music as their debut despite having the skills for something better. Its not entirely with fault though: Solos (if they really are 'solos' and not just more sweep fills) are neo-classically influenced and are surprisingly melodic and if you really really like this sort of brainmashing music, then theres no band that can really bring the speed or heaviness neccessary for satisfaction (although I guess most of the people who give it a listen will be turned off). Even so, if you listen to this album, you're either brave or foolish enough to listen to 3 minutes a peice of chaos.

Despite the shortcomings of the actual music, the lyrics section shows some redemption, if just a fraction. Taken from the track 'Beyond Bludgeoned': You will be left, beyond bludgeoned. Your screaming means nothing, smash your skull merciless. Hope fading with the will to resist. Gushing blood from every orifice. Decayed and displayed. The tale of your tortures shall remain endless. I'm sure you can agree, suitably horrific for the genre. But 'Quantum Catastrophe' focuses more than just mass murder. The composers have added some level of difference to them and most of the other songs focus on inter stellar destruction, alien invasions, ancient religious subjects such as the coming of some saviour to bring the rapture and, of course, many zombie apocalypses. The vocalist is pretty much run-of-the-mill. His style is mostly just burbling death growls that are haphazardly placed over the music with the odd deathcore (yes, deathcore) scream added every now and again. Its nothing new, but at least they're not rubbish.

Theres no real use trying to compare techdeath with itself. Brain Drill are in their own league of insanity, although I think that its not exactly the best league to be in. By the end of listening to 'Quantum Catastrophe', I'm really beginning to see that all techdeath bands from the last 5 years are all as gimmicky and rediculous as DragonForce. Its a shame, because I had respect for the musicianship and the way that barely any other band could actually make so much noise but all in all its now just becoming a growing trend. The few songs worth a mention are 'Nemesis of Neglect' which doesn't have a single sweep for 40 seconds (my god..) 'Monumental Failure' (just for the name) and the actual title track 'Quantum Catastrophe' which is over 16 minutes long. Infact thats the longest death metal song I've ever listened to, and 5 minutes of it is mostly sound effects. I can't really recommend this to anyone, unless you are totally into this sort of music. Its a bit of a dissapointment, as the debut was fun because it was violent, but doing the exact same thing with 'Quantum Catastrophe' again is just a sign that the band have no other interest in being anything else.

Banjocal
    i think the reason they play so technically is because, well, if you can sweep and all that, playing incredibly complicated stuff, you just feel amazing playing it lol
    COBHC_Erick429
    its funny, you liked the debut more then the 2nd release, and im completely vice versa. as a bass player, i only listened to the debut for the bass, i could care less what everybody else was doing. on quantum catastrophe however, i listen to the band way more as a whole and theyve deffinetly matured and gotten alot better.
    ant_smusher
    "Tell me, do you have the gift of hearing? And lulz @ internet slap.." EpiExplorer i listen to over 1000 artists on my computer. 80% metal the other 20% ranging from beatles to mindless self indulgence. My range of open-minded optimism to peoples music allows me to enjoy peoples music, no matter the style. i see MUCH talent in this band, my brother blasts like i cant believe, but nothing compared to Ron Casey, nor have i heard precise speed on all fronts of the instruments to time signatures invented for their style. and you ask me if i have any gift of hearing? Yes, i have a very great gift of hearing. i hear the strange scales, the custom unmodern sweeps he's changing constantly, the instant change of the procussions beat. it's a bloody master-piece, one that takes months upon months of writting, dedicating, practicing, making sure it's PERFECT. Then some guy on ULTIMATE-GUITAR.COM (may i remind u Dylan Ruskin of Brain Drill is an amazing guitarist) gives this band a 4.7/10... then only taps into the Sound, Lyrics and Singing, and Impression... WHERE'S THE GUITAR AND BASS REVIEW?!?!?! Who gives 2 flying F***s what the guy's singing about when there's "Rediculous (sp: Ridiculous) amounts of blast beats/gravity blasts, a sweep riff every 10 seconds and the sort of bass levels they use to rupture wholes (Wholes?!?! how r u allowed to make this review?) in the earth." To me, that's what i expected with this album, and that's what they delivered ten-fold. You don't like it, a lot it seems. so y would u go ahead and post on this Guitar oriented website that this band's album is crap, a 4.7/10, forcing this bands record sales down due to a front page review article, all because u decided they weren't good enough in your books.
    soaum
    as much as I like technical death metal I could really imagine myself listening to more than one song in a row by these guys. there is just no variation at all
    ShredHead396
    Hmm, just had a listen to these boys on Youtube those drums rattle your head something shocking
    randomucker
    I'll help you out on who to recommend this to. You should recommend it to anyone that is into tech death, and isn't someone that has a fit if a song has no sense of rhythm and is interested in just hearing some ultra technical death metal. It is what it is. Brain Drill aren't going for melody, they have their own unique style and they stick to it. Not everyone is going to like it, as I said you have to take it for what it is, so i don't think your rating is really fair. They obviously set out to create a blistering, ridiculously technical UNRELENTING slab of metal, and in that respect i think they did a great job.
    Shredder Guitar
    the cover art is great. the music, not so much. I think there comes a time when a band becomes too technical. Planetary Duality by the Faceless is much better.
    huevos
    ant_smusher, no one cares. I think this band is so ridiculous, even the band members know it. It shouldn't held in high regards. It's a slab of quirky fun and noise. Take it as it is.
    EpiExplorer
    ant_smusher wrote: ok, this review is a hack job, dont pay attention to it. This is TECHNICAL DEATH METAL!!! this isn't anything with a melody, it's progressive, brutal, death metal and if u dont like it, u dont like it. I've been listening to Brain Drill since their start, and they're one of my favourite bands. the fact that this amazing album (one of my top 10 favs of all time now) has a ****ing 4.7/10 makes me wanna internet slap the reviewer, bloody idiot.
    Tell me, do you have the gift of hearing? And lulz @ internet slap..
    metallifreak77
    Technical just to show off is annoying beyond belief, and this band exemplifies it, I would not call it skill, any trained monkey could pull it off. Yey, they have speed and sweeps... good for them, now try to actually write a song, apparently that is the difficult part. I don't know my friends, really do not like it
    A Ghost Reverie
    once you're over board with the techy wankfest, I'll stop listening. Its really pointless to listen to music when it has no emotion or direction. Even Necrophagist have some emotion in their solos. This is just shit imo.
    dez_cole
    I listened to this band, the song suggested in the lyrics section Beyond Bludgeoned. I think this is bullshit. Like someone said even necrophagist has some emotion in it. I listen to tech death like necrophagist and the faceless and while this is TECHNICAL i see no value in the music. A sweep pick is a technique on guitar and bass. How often would you use sweeps in your songs if you just wrote songs without an instrument? It seems to me that this band just overuses every technical technique for the sake of being technical, not for musics sake. Hey maybe I can't understand musical genius when i hear it... or maybe i just don't have a leaking hole in my head.
    ant_smusher
    millarso
    Honestly, as a guy who likes writing reviews... I doubt his opinion is going to affect the band's album sales in the least. Anyone who likes Brain Drill will look into the album, anyone who didn't beforehand won't. This album won't change people's opinions by any means.
    lak89
    Brain Drill is one of those lovehate bands, Death Metal can be split into two main camps, one with variety and more of a sense of melody in their music (Spawn Of Possession, Severed Savior), memorable riffs while retaining their brutality, the other more of a non stop barrage of unrelenting intensity and brutality, with little to no breathing room within. I can definitely see where all the hatred for this band is coming from, musicality vs. technicality is a never ending debate. Brain Drill falls into the latter description above, if the latter description fits your tastes, then this band is for you. I personally dig both, sometimes I do like my DM with some sense of melody, variation and feeling, and others I just want a barrage of intensity hitting me at full force. It's all down to personal opinion guys.
    BwareDWare94
    Learn to spell and structure your sentences better and this would be a damn good review. It's got potential, though I don't think I'll be listening to this band any time soon. Doesn't sound like they have anything to offer other than wank and instant boredom.
    EpiExplorer
    Well ya know how it is. In my mind, one album is enough by these guys and it should really be that then make something totally new, not recycle the same material over and over again.