Hungry Review

7.3
 7.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Hungry Reviewed by: RosetaStoned351, on july 22, 2013

Sound: Brainstorm started of as just another power metal band back in 1989. Over course of 8 years, they started mixing more and more Thrash into their Power Metal. Guitar players Torsten Ihlenfeld & Milan Loncaric's riffs got faster, heavier and started to include more of an oriental feel to them (think "Wherever I May Roam" by Metallica). The band is very popular in Germany and Hungary, but are pretty unknown in the rest of the world. I think they are one of the most underrated bands of all time, also one of the heaviest. The production is great for a debut album, my only complaint is the sound of the snare drum. Songs: 1. "Nails in My Hands": The album starts with a very fast riff that sets the tone of the first song, which lyrics are about being stabled in the back. The bride slows down the song into a heavy part that leads into a solid guitar solo. The fastest and shortest song on the album. 2. "King of Fools": One of the heaviest tunes, also one of the better songs on the albums. 3. "Innocent Until Caught": One of the 2 best songs. Great riffs, great drumming, good lyrics. 4. "The Other Side": The longest track, almost 7 min. Has some progressive elements to it. Great riffing in this song! 5. "Tomorrow Never Comes": One of weakest songs, great opening riff but the rest is boring. 6. "Liar's Edge": The best song along with "Innocent." Heavy, good lyrics and really nice riffs. Great guitar solo and good chorus. 7. "Tell-Tale Heart": The intro sound similar to "Pull Me Under" by Dream Theatre. A good song! 8. "Welcome to the Darkside": Good lyrics. Good guitar solos. 9. "Bring You Down": Good lyrics. Some great riffing here! 10. "Deep Down Into Passion": The worst song on the album, the boring chorus ruins the song. 11. "Mr. Know It-All": This one has a "Judas Priest" kinda feel to it. The high pitched vocals kinda ruins the song, but great guitar solo and catchy chorus. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly good but not great, with the exception of some songs, such as "The Other Side." When it comes to the vocals, they are typical power metal. The vocalist does his job, but never shines. The vocals fits well with the music, but gets annoying sometimes. If your a fan of power metal you will probably like it. If your not, than you might feel that the vocals are annoying on some songs. // 7

Overall Impression: "Hungry" is a solid debut and also has a really cool album cover. I you like darker power metal, than you will definitely like this one. "Innocent Until Caught" and "Liar's Edge" are easily the best songs on the album, which is about 50min long. I like the guitar work and the drums, but personally the album is too much power metal for me. When comparing it to their other albums it ends up as the weakest. A good, but not great album!

// 7