Daisy review by Brand New

• Released: Sep 22, 2009
Brand New: Daisy

Right from the get go, you know that this is going to be a different record from anything Brand New has made before from the first track on. It seems to me Brand New have, for the most part, moved away from writing catchy hooks to trying to make some noise rock i.e. Vices, Be Gone, end of Gasoline. To me I think this record is an extension of an album that could've had "The Archers Bows Are Broken" as their first single. Jesse Lacey screams a lot in this album and does it well and at the right time. As a Brand New fan from the start, I can say I didn't expect it to sound like this, but I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the tracks on here. It goes without saying that most if not all of these songs contain amazing lyrics Vices starts out with a clip of a women playing some sort of ballad before going into a noise infested free for all. Bed is one of my least favorite tracks on the album, not because it's probably the slowest, but the track seems rather boring with uncommonly easy rhymes. At The Bottom, the first single, has an odd intro, but picks up into a great sounding chorus. It's a powerful that's worth a listen. At parts of Gasoline, I see some of the older Brand New come back. This is one of the tracks that a majority of it is Jesse screaming. One of the better lyrical songs. You Stole is a great buildup song filled with eerie guitars reminiscent of, dare i say, the Arctic Monkeys; well at least their new stuff, before heading into a heavier breakdown. Another great lyrical performance by the band Hands down the weirdest song goes to Be Gone, with it's 1:31 of eastern guitar and muffled sounds/vocals Sink is another song that features Jesse screaming. One of the best tracks to just rock out to. It picks up right away and the best word to describe it is powerful Bought a Bride is another powerful song that old Brand New fans will most definitely enjoy. To me this song incapsulates the sound of the guitar that they used for this record. Not very conventional but different. Now for my personal favorite song, Daisy. Im tired of saying it, especially after Sink and Bought a Bride however Daisy is another powerful song featuring smooth and soft guitar, great interpretive lyrics, powerful and percussion and bold vocals. In a jar, similar to Be Gone, features some eastern guitar influence and repetitive, rather odd lyrics. Another great rock track if you can get past the intro. The last song, and longest clocking in at 6:27, Noro doesn't seem it was written as a catchy song but at some times during the song you just can't help but sway to the beat. Then the track turns into some more noise instrumentation before playing the ballad from the beginning of the first track, Vices. To me that simulates a continuation of the record; a sense of how every track has a commonality and is connected in some way. It's clear Brand New was attempting to make a change in musical direction and they accomplished that and then some.

The lyrics have a taken a turn just like the music however you still can see some of the old with the new. Some of my favorite lines are just as clever as ever "You tried to put a fire out, but you used gasoline." Satirical biblical references like "Holding out for rest but on the seventh day, I've created nothing and I'm wide awake." or There's too many saviors on my cross again, I know I'm never going to be a perfect man." There seems to be a new theme in some of the Brand New songs and that theme is nature. This can be seen in lines like "Well if we take all these things and we bury them fast And we'll pray that they turn into seeds, to roots and then grass It'd be all right, it's all right." and "Little light, lead us through the night, and if we die, burn down the forest." Other than these obvious new and old themes, I can't seem to make much sense of some of the other lyrics at present, and Jesse's probably happy about that. But as is the case for all lyrics, they are open to interpretation so make of them what you will.

So to some up the new album I would definitely see this as a great change of direction from the previous record. This new record pulls you into a new, dark, and odd atmosphere that you fight through as the record goes. It seems hard to compare this new sound to anyone in particular but if I were to take a crack at it I would say there are some obvious Modest Mouse influences, eastern musical influence, and also large components of noise rock influence. The most impressive sequence in the album is hands down from Sink to Daisy, these powerful songs all proceed very smoothly and leave an impression.

QBAG
    roundwoundsound
    this album wasn't disappointing.see how much our opinions matter?!?!?! shut the **** up, people that were disappointed..we don't care and you suck.
    Drodan
    I really am loving this album, took me a while to get into it but now I just love it. Each song is just so cleverly put together and mastered in such a beautiful way. Definately takes a few listens to fully appreciate just how awesome the album is.
    rush4life
    larkspur wrote: they have become my favorite band in a matter of listening to them for only four months.
    Some people (myself) have been listening to them for years, and probably aren't still "in love" so to speak with the band. Every time you discover a new group, it seems like everything they do is awesome. I know, I've experienced it myself, only to look back a while later and realize those albums weren't as good as I thought they were. This album WAS disappointing, a scattered mess with maybe two good songs on it. I grew more and more frustrated with it as it went on. I loved all of their albums for different reasons, but this one just didn't click at all.
    larkspur
    you know what? anyone that wants to say they were dissapointed in Brand New's album Daisy album is CLEARLY not seeing how they want something different and a change in all of their music. you can't say that and then call yourself a true fan of theirs. I mean their name says it all. but say as you please, everyones obliged to their own opinions. they have become my favorite band in a matter of listening to them for only four months. every one of their albums/songs are amazing and are meaningful and powerful even if the words or lines are simple. I play drums and I'm greatly inspired by Brian lanes drumming and his techniques. the guitarist and I in the band are in love with these guys and their poetical lyrics ranging from jesse's unsureites about life after death, to loving some one but knowing you can't be with them. daisy is one of my favorite albums of all time and the sounds are very different from their other works and I give them a TEN out of TEN. also I would have to say that The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me album is another great masterpiece created by them. all of their amazing musical and lyrical abilities is going to hopefuly change the music of today making it more acceptable/meaningful and allowing more freedom of expression and speech. alot of the songs on these albums share the same feelings I have about my faith. if you haven't listened to them yet you need to. i swear it can change you. they're music is extremly powerful! peace out
    larkspur
    you know what? anyone that wants to say they were dissapointed in this album is CLEARLY not seeing how they want something different and change in all their music. you can't say that and then call yourself a true fan of theirs. they have become my favorite band in a matter of listening to them for only four months. every one of their albums/songs are amazing and are meaningful and powerful even if the words or lines are simple. I play drums and I'm greatly inspired by Brian lanes drumming and his techniques. me and the guitarist are in love with these guys and their poetical lyrics ranging from jesse's unsuretes about life after death, to loving some one but knowing you can't be with them. daisy is one of my favorite albums of all time and the sounds are very different from their other works and then I would have to say the devil and god are raging inside me, alot of the songs on that album express the same feelings I have about my faith. if you haven't listened to them yet you need to. i swear it can change you. they're music is extremly powerful. peace out
    brandnew70x'7
    Best album I have ever heard!!! I have been a Brand New fan since the beginning and had high expectations for this album. It surprised me and made me love this band even more. The first day I had it I listened to it ten times all the way thru and I am still finding new parts of songs that I absolutely love. BUY THIS ALBUM!!!!!
    Covin
    This album is [thankfully] going to divide the fanbase. The people able to absorb the art of all the albums from the people that like the catchiness of all the previous albums. It's a marevelous album, and though it isn't as good as the previous 2, it's an incomparable piece of work. I'm looking forward to their fanbase dwindling. This album feels like a step between changes in sound that wasn't got finished. The next album, I'm pretty sure, is going to surprise everyone.
    badacidvacation
    KurdtStaley
    When I was younger there were a handful of Brand New songs I liked. Then my tastes started changing and I never listened to them again. Until I downloaded Daisy a few days ago which is easily one of my favorite albums of all time now. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Nirvana with the loud/soft dynamics on the album. Except with a new age electronic twist and different vocal styling. Definitely a brilliant album. Got this on the same day I got BGWTB and I can't decide which I like more. I honestly haven't listened to anything aside from these two albums for a week.
    toolfan_121
    brand new is amazing. Took me a couple listens through to find the genius in this album, but the more I listen to it, the more I love it. A masterpiece by the greatest musicians of our time, in my opinion.
    one-dead-cop
    every time they release a new album i like the previous one significantly less. daisy is so effin great!
    catalyst329
    QBAG wrote: Everytime I get a Brand New album, and I can honestly say this, I dont like it at first. and then I listen to it like 3 times and realize that they are amazing. I have loved everyone of their cd's and cant wait to get this one
    so true
    axethrower13
    great review man. i heard leaked tracks of this cd on youtube before i got my pre-order, and let me tell you, i was nervous. but after sitting and listening to the cd in its correct order, in flow, this cd rocks. long time listners just have to sit and listen....they'll be hooked.
    imsimon
    This is literally my favourite album of the year, I can't stop listening to it
    fartsyjoe420
    brand new has never been afraid of reactions to the changes in their music, and it's obvious every time they put out an album. they're not a band who puts out the same record every outing, which is a pleasant surprise in today's music world. these guys never cease to blow me away every album. this is a great record, and surprisingly aggressive... just didn't expect that. my favorite track is 'stole.' awesome song.
    Ebshabutiee
    This is an album that will catch even some of their oldest fans off guard. Its a ****in' work of art.
    CaptnOats10101
    the first review was great. ya this new album is ****ing amazing, brand news been my favorite band since i was in 7th grade and im 21 now lol so u'd think id be biased but like qbag said at first i didnt really dig it and after a few listens i remember why theyre my favorite band. Brand new never dissapoints, they are truly artists.
    Mirepoix
    fallingforever
    Mirepoix wrote: As much as I have loved Brand New over the years, isn't this album a little bit too reminiscent of Modest Mouse? I can't be the only one to notice this! Still enjoying it though.
    i see some similarities in some of the songs. i listened to the album twice through at work adn you can totally see the different influences in each songs form modest mouse to nirvana, it's almost like listening to the evolution of rock throughout the album, it's pretty awesome
    roundwoundsound
    badacidvacation wrote: Really really disappointing like incredibly disappointing. I remember upon hearing The Resistance I was a little let down because Muse went a little too poppy for my tastes and less kick-ass tearyourface rawk like they were but I still liked it a lot. "Daisy" has "At the bottom" which is a decent song but really nothing else. Very mediocre album, which is odd for such a great band. hell, I'm even wearing a slightly old Brand new shirt. Hmmm. Overall score: 58. Devil and God: 92 Deja Entendu: 85 Your Favorite Weapon: 100 (Classic!)
    oh yeah by the way, this kid sucks ^. pop punk is FUCKING GAY!