Deja Entendu review by Brand New

• Released: Jun 17, 2003
Brand New: Deja Entendu

Deja Entendu is exactly what I've been looking for ever since I realized The Smashing Pumpkins will never release a "punk" album. This CD is the perfect blend of rock and roll sounds with punk attitude. However, it is much more.

The lyrical genius of Jesse turns a song about moving too fast in a relationship into a sexy sounding, thought provoking anthem (Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades). All the songs have that sort of aspect to them where you know they have meaning to the band but you can share the feeling just as much. That's what music is about, really. Being able to feel the songs giving you the creepy crawlies is a major accomplishment. Fans of the old Brand New may miss the catchy, poopy, sing-a-longs of "Your Favorite Weapon." I, for one, find the choruses in Deja to be just as catchy, if not more. True, only hearing one or two members throughout most of the songs is a funny feeling. However, the creativeness of those songs is amazing. No more simple love ballads any angst-ridden teenager can play. This CD gives you honest songwriting that doesn't take five minutes to put together.

I give this CD a 5 because when I think of my favorite songs on it, almost all of them stick out. Listen to this CD if you like punk, rock, pop, or even jazz.