Deja Entendu review by Brand New

• Released: Jun 17, 2003
Brand New: Deja Entendu

Since Brand New's debut LP "Your Favourite Weapon", their sound has matured a lot. This album is a hell of a lot mellower, with more of an emo focus than the last record's pop-punk style. It is a matter of opinion whether this change in style represents personal growth or a chance to sell more records by jumping off the tired pop-punk bandwagon. That said, "Deja Entendu" benefits highly from this new direction. Gone is the melodic, sing-a-long sound, to be replaced with slower, more emotional songs. Brand New don't claim to be anything original - the name "Deja Entendu" means "already heard" in French - but they are very good at what they do. There are a maix of louder songs and quieter, acoustic numbers.

The lyrics are hard to fault. The only complaint you might have is if you think they are too emotional, which admittedly in places they can be. For the most part, however, the lines are written poetically, but stillmanage to remain simple and clever, which is very hard to pull off. Each song reads like a story, and to make words of that standard blend into a song is impressive indeed. The singer, Jesse, does not have an outstanding voice. Nor can he scream particularly well. Admittedly, he is better than me, but there are better. However, he does the job.

It's a good album, but not one I feel is justified by the hype. I do not believe that every track is great, and by no means is the album flawless. Songs like "Sic Transit Gloria" are catchy and recognisable, and the louder songs such as this are easily the best on the CD. Other key songs include "Okay I Believe You, but my Tommy Gun don't", "Guernica" and "The Quiet things that no-one ever knows". It's a shame there are so many mellow moments, because the loudest songs are the best. Overall, though, it's a good album, and 2004 seems destined to be their year.