Deja Entendu review by Brand New

• Released: Jun 17, 2003
Brand New: Deja Entendu

Brand New is by far the best Emo band (if not the best band period) out there today. I was a Brand New fan since they released their first CD "Your Favorite Weapon" a few years ago. That CD sounded like a punk/rock CD, but a very good one. But when you look and listen a little closer, you realize that not only is the music good, but so are the lyrics. Brand New is known for their amazing lyrics. Deja Entendu ("already heard" in French) is Brand New's sophomore album. With this album, they moved away from the Punk/rock origins, and matured into an astoundingly good Emo band. They moved away from powerchords and from screaming vocals, and intead, varied the types of musical styles that they used on this CD almost every song. A great example of this is the transition between "Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades", a very fast pased song with a loud and agressive chorus, and "I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light", a very heartfelt and emotional slower song with mostly acoustic guitar. This band's sound varies a lot through the CD, but that is what makes this CD and this band so amazing.

Ohhh. The best part of this band: the lyrics. I will go into an analysis of each song for this part. 01. "Sic Transit Gloria...glory Fades" - This is a song about teen sex, about being used and controlled, and about being taken advantage of. The fast pace of the lyrics really gets your heart beating, you can really see that he (Jesse Lacey, Brand New's songwriter/composer/rhythm guitar/lead vocalist) means what he is saying, and that he is trying to convey a point. 02. "I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light" - This song is a mostly acoustic song, which fits the lyrics very well. It is about being on tour, being homesick and missing everything back home, and about being in the music business. If you listen to Jesse's voice in this song, it sounds like he is very emotional, almost on the verge of crying. 03. "Okay, I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't" - From what I can tell, this song is about anyone who Jesse doesn't particularly like ("Every line is about who I don't want to write about anymore"). This song contains some of the best lyrics on the CD. In the first verse, Jesse talks about what he doesn't like in himself, but he is being a little arrogant ("I am heaven sent" "Oh...it hurts to be this good"). It also seems to talk about John Nolan a little, and the whole "Seventy Times 7" and "There's No I In Team" incident with line like "We admit to the truth, we are the best at what we do, and these are the words you wish you wrote down, this is the way you wish your voice sounds, handsome and smart...". 04. "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" - This song contains really good lyrics, but they are some of the worst on the CD believe it or not. The song is about teen life, and an incident that happened to Jesse and someone he loved. It is still an amazing song. 05. "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" - By the end of this song, you will change this title to (from Jesse's perspective) "I Am The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot". This is a very sad song that has to deal with a relationship where Jesse was still in love with a girl and she dumped him, and never wanted to see him again, but Jesse still loved her after that. The bridge is probably the best part of this song. 06. "Jaws Theme Swimming" - I have no idea what this song is about, sorry, but all I know is that the lyrics are good. 07. "Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis" - This song is about a date-rape-esque incident that Jesse was involved in. This song kind of freaks me out, but I like it a lot. It is one of my favorite songs on the CD. It seems from the lyrics of this song that Jesse was very aware of what he was doing when he was doing this incident. This song makes Jesse seem like an evil person, but he wrote it for a reason, and that reason was probably to show that he was not content with these actions. 08. "Guernica" - This song is about someone in Jesse's family who is or was sick that he was very close with. From the lines "Is this the way a toy feels when its betteries run dry", you can tell that it was probably an older person, preferably a grandparent of his. This song's lyrics are amazing, and it is very sad because you can tell that Jesse would do anything to heal this person, but cannot, and it gives you some insight on how useless we can be sometimes. 09. "Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention, All I Need To Do Is Die" - This song wins the "Longest Song Title" award. This song is about the Record Business, and how they are in control of the bands and artists that they sign. "You constantly make it impossible to make converstion, you keep us comatose but audible", this talks about how they are like puppets, that they only can talk when their label tells them to, and except for that, it is like they are "comatose". This song gets very violent in the lines "We pray like wolves among the sheep and slit the necks of soldiers while they sleep". You can tell from these lines that they are very angry at the music business/record labels. 10. "Play Crack The Sky" - This whole song is a metaphor using boats and sailing. You can tell that from Jesse's knowledge of boats in this song, that when he was younger he used to go sailing a lot or was interested in boats. The lyrical style of this song is very different from all the other songs, and it sets this song apart. This song is also 100% acoustic. Overall, every song on this CD is a lyrical masterpiece, and the music and Jesse's vocals fit the lyrics perfectly.

This band and CD blows all other CD's away. No competition, because Brand New is in their own league. Every song is just as impressive as the other. Any song that lacks lyrically, is made up for musically, and any song that lacks musically, is made up for lyrically. I love every single thing about this CD. And if it were stolen or lost, no doubt would I buy it again. It is definitely worth buying, so buy this CD if you havent already!