Deja Entendu review by Brand New

• Released: Jun 17, 2003
Brand New: Deja Entendu

On this album Brand New have explore a range of different sounds from the souly acoustic mellow chords from Play The Crack In The Sky to the more heavy playing in The Quiet Thing, and unlike their last album they use the bass tone a lot more, explored expiecially well in Sic Transit Gloria Glory Fades and Jaws Theme Swimming.

On their last album the lyrics where mainly about one topic: getting revenge on the girl who stood you up. However in Deja Entendu Jesse uses a wider range of emotions in his lyrics. Such as confusion "This is so messed up." Dispair "I'm sinking like a stone in the sea" arrogance "I'm heaven sent"/"we are the best at what we do" and lonelyness "collect calls to home, tell them that I realise that everyone who lives will someday die and die alone." Although if its revenge and angry your after it is still there in abundance and just as unsublte and dark as the last album "Hope you come down with something they cant diagnose, dont have the cure for." The back up vocals again complement Jesse's singing. The only critisism being that it is not used enough. I guarentee you will find a song you can relate to.

Found the band after listening to Taking Back Sunday. Although some of the song follow the same lyrical and instrumental pattern, I feel that Brand News Deja Entendu is a much more in depth. The lyrics often have sub meanings and the long winded strange titles make sense once you discover what the song is about. For example the song Me Vs Elvis Vs Madonna appears to be about someone who lieing to a girl to get them in bed. However more indepth listening to the lyrics show that the song is actual about the fear of ending a washed out celeb, hence Elvis and Maradona. Both of who did drugs and ended there career.