Deja Entendu review by Brand New

• Released: Jun 17, 2003
Brand New: Deja Entendu

This is definately more mature than BN's debut album, Your Favorite Weapon. While YFW had an electric feel to it, Deja Entendu is a more meaningful, emotional stab at music. As apposed to quick riffs and solos, Deja has slow, repetitive ballads based on the beat of the drum. You can still tell it's Brand New, though, because the endings are still fast-paced.

The lyrics here are almost better than YFW's. Jaws Theme Swimming is about getting older and realizing the people, your parents, for example, were right all along when thay said your were being foolish ("We learn as we age we've learned nothing"), and I think there are a few stabs to Adam Lazzara in there ("Take a leap from out the window, cause it's way to far to go through the door"), who had an affair with Jesse's girlfriend.

This is by far the best music out there. No, that's not opinion. Unlike Nelly, who writes songs about his how his grillz are pimping, Brand New writes songs about their past. Songs they mean. The best songs from the album are probably Jaws Theme Swimming and Guernica. Go out and buy this, I guarantee you'll at least find it catchy.

justinrobbins7
    good reviews but as far as trying to give song interpretations you should check into it a little more. sic transit gloria is about the reverse role of peer pressure, and how guys arent always the agressors. "okay i believe you..." is voiced as an attack on taking back sunday's lead singer adam lazzara, with it being adam singing the song in first person, until it switches to the faster parts...the boy who blocked his own shot, and probably about 10 of their other songs, was inspired by the jesse lacey/john nolan friendship break-up because john's gf cheated on him with jesse (you can read all about all that somewhere else too much to type), and the grandfather in guernica isn't jesse's. im not sure which one it is, but one of their grandfathers, maybe vinnies, died of lung cancer and he was very close to him, and he was too far away on tour to go visit him when he died, hence the line "nobody plans to be half a world away at times like these". just pointing stuff out, good work.