The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me review by Brand New

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
Brand New: The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me

Before indulging in this album, I could never really say I was a fan of Brand New. I'd heard basiclaly all of their songs but they weren't a band I'd go out of my way to listen to. This CD changed that. Musically, I feel like this CD is a good combination of what was good about the first album, and what was good about the second album. I absolutely love every song on this album, especially the first half of it. Every song on it sounds like it could be a single. It is very apparent that plenty of time was put into the making of this CD.

The lyrics are breathtaking, as for Jesse's usual standard. Brand New's music has always seemed centred around the singing to me, and this album keeps it up. I've found more than a few times, I would be listening to a song I love from this album and hear a new line sung that I didn't notice before and that song just becomes exponentially better. There is more than one song where the vocals are done in harmonies for the majority of the way through it, and I love that style of singing. The lyrics also fit with the music perfectly. These songs seem like classics that have been around for several years.

This CD is number one on my listening list right now and has replaced Protest The Hero's 14 month straight run in my car's CD player, which I must say, is really saying something. My two favourite slower songs from the album are "Luca" and "Jesus Christ", for their simply beautiful melodies and vocals, and my favourite harder ones are "The Archer's Bows Are Broken" and "Sowing Season", the latter of which starts of slow and just begins booming about a quarter of the way in and just sounds amazing. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't think twice about replacing it. It's music like this that reminds my thick head why music can be worth every penny.

mitchrosko
    you cannot compare brand new to taking back sunday or matchbook romance...tbs is good, but they have not prgrssed and their albums sound almsot the same, when i firset listened to TDAGARIM, i couldnt even tell it was brand new, not many bands can compare to them
    glazeglaze
    wow, i can get lost in tdagarim. All of the songs are ridiculous. Jesse does not faulter once in his mastery of lyrical genius. Seriously, Jesse is my man-crush and his internal conflict is quite beautifully displayed here I can't say any more good words about this CD and hopefully it will speak for itself when all of you listen to it.
    unknownalone
    saw brand new 3 weeks ago, freaking brilliantly amazing show. played sowing season and you wont know and they were terrific. every song they played was awesome. love this album more than both the others
    Footballspider
    The most sincere and honest set of lyrics I've seen out of a band in a long time. Every time I listen to a song a new line catches me. I'm glad they haven't sold out with the pop sound. Definitely a lot of experimentation with different areas of music and it turned out great.