The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me review by Brand New

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
Brand New: The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

If you have listened to the first to albums released by Brand New (Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu) you can tell that the band matured and there content in songs changed. In The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, they again show more maturity and different content in there songs. You see the change from a more punk group of kids singing about highschool and love and friendship, to a band singing about losses of loved ones, sex, the music industry and so forth and then there latest album portrays a lot of religious struggles. Instrument wise, the band went from the simple guitar riffs and acoustic songs and more of a punk rock feel to more recently a more dramatic sound a deeper sound from the drums, slower songs that seem to try to have more impact. In Degausser you hear a choir like anthem and then jesse in the background, it's an awesome sound and the entire CD has something new that Brand New has never done.

Like always Jesse Lacey shows that he is one of the best in the business when it comes to lyrics. He has never been scared to portray how he feels. On track #1 he starts off with "I'm losing all my freinds, Just losing them to drinking and to driving" towards the end he yells "I'm not your friend, I'm just a man who knows how to feel, I'm not your friend, I'm not your lover, I'm not your family, yeah!" After that you have to songs that start to jump into religion..in milestone he says "I used to sleep without a single stir, cause I was about my fathers work" and in track #3 Jesus Christ he continues to show that he believes but it's hard an awesome line in the song is "Jesus Christ I'm alone again what did you do those three days you dead cause this problems gonna last more then the weekend." After two albums Jesse shows he still has it, he and the band as well have shown that they can change and yet never change. If songs in the earlier CD's moved you then you wont be dissapointed here.

It's hard to say anyhting is better then Deja Entendu but honestly these two albums are different and I love this new CD and I will say it's as good if not better then most albums out there. You just have to like the style, but go out and buy it and I gaurantee you'll love it, maybe get Brand New's first two albums and then this one, actually you must do that because if you don't have there first two then that's your first problem there. Right now my favorite songs on it are really the first 6 on the CD, there are just awesome songs with there own great qualities, and one song that is really growing on me is handcuffs, I especially like it because the whole thing was written by Vince Accardi who gets under appreciated and Jesse's voice in it is awesome. I hope everyone goes out and buys this CD and forms there own oppinion.

cleverisall
    challenges saosin for best rock album of the year in my mind
    Hands down Brand New would take the title. Saosins new album is amazing, but Coves lyrics cant compare to Jesses. If it was still Anthony at the helm for Saosin, then maybe. The new Brand New album is amazing. I think they were able to keep the classic Deja sound but with a little experimentation. This album is a little more edgy, but in a good way. And its obvious that the band has grown, expecially lyrically. I wouldve preferred not waiting 3 years for this, but it was definately worth it. Best album yet.