The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me review by Brand New

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
Brand New: The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me

This album is a departure from both the previous albums. If you only hear this album you would assume that Brand New were a certain type of band but if you hear "Your Favorite Weapon" and "Deja Entendu" you will have a broader view of Brand New. The album kicks in with Sowing Season and when you hear this song you will notice that it doesn't have the funky sound of some of the tracks on Deja Entendu but it is distinctively Brand New. You cannot say that this record has one partiular style, it's easy to say alt/rock but that doesn't explain what this album actually is, acoustic-somber then fading into heavy alt-rock. Track 4 "degausser" has a haunting feel about it and the fluid guitar just seems like it is meant to be; with a seeming choir of angels joining Brand New for the chorus, listen and you will know what I mean. What defines this album is the change from quiet to loud and light to heavy that happens on many of the song, most notably "Luca" which in my opinion is a weak track up unto the end, listen and you will see what I mean. There is a track on this album called Welcome To Bangkok which is totally instrumental and when I first heard it I didn't like it but it has really grown on me to the point where I think lyrics would spoil the beauty of the song.

In my opinion, Brand New are the best band, lyrically, in the world at the minute. Jesse's words come out and flow, not necessarily rhyming but just seeming like he chose the right words. Track 5 "limousine" seemed to bore me but then I listened again to the lyrics and the part where jesse breaks in with "hey my beauty supreme" and it made me want to write about the beauty of the track, however you should also find out what this track is about! I could honestly write pages and pages on the lyrics. Go to a lyrics page and while you are listening to Limousine read them, you will understand what I mean. It's clear that the band is very ambiguous about lyrics in this album and it has sparked debate among fans as to what the songs mean but this is because Brand New has become an even more layered band than they used to be, things seemed to be more spelled out on My Favorite Weapon.

Brand New are very distinctive, the closest band to them lyrically I would say would is taking back sunday and althought TBS seem to be more successfully without a doubt Brand New are the more accomplished band, I heard that Jesse the lead singer of Brand New used to be in TBS, but I think he is now in the better band. The best song in my opinion on this album is "You Won't Know" This album isn't as good as Deja Entendu but to compare them isn't fair, they are 2 totally different pieces of art, The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is still about break-ups and girls but it's also a lot deeper than that musically and lyrically. If I lost this album I'd write a song to explain my anguish and become a musician just so I could convey the unsung heroes of Brand New and their fantastic cd. I love this album, there's nothing I would change about it even thought I know it isnt perfect, it's imperfections are beautiful.

Whatley2212
    epiphone_sg wrote: dude my chemical romance is an killer band...im not saying brand new aren't since theyre really good at wut they do but how can any1 say tht mychemical romance n taking back sunday aren't serious bands they both rip (imean brand new n mychemical romance)
    Please dont use MCR or TBS in the same sentence as. Brand New. Mikes are for singing, not swinging.
    deaf_echo
    I agree with leezer's review in which he mentions Limousine . The part where Jesse breaks in with "You're beauty supreme" makes the whole song worth listening to. The Archers Bows Have Broken is one of my favourite songs. He sings the chorus with so much gusto, and the verses are finely crafted and great to sing along with. Millstone is a great song.
    themetalpunk913
    This cd does really grow on you. I thought for a while that it wasn't that great, but after i started listening to it more, i really started to like it. I think it's just as good as deja entendu if you ask me. Not the sun, sowing season, jesus christ, and the archers bows have broken are my favorites. This cd is deffenitley worth your time to actually go out and buy and not download. It's also a good album for passing time, my friend said it's sort of like a time machine. It kind of is, but i still love it.